Saturday, July 20, 2013

A brief history of anime in the united states...

So I've been playing "the world ends with you" for the nintendo ds lately. Why? Because it's on just about every top ten list of best ds games- and I believed it... somehow. I mean, if it's on the internet, it's got to be true, right? I know everything write is true... that's for sure. You all are really getting your money's worth here, let me tell you...



Anyway, it's not a bad game. In fact, it's really, really adequate. Oh, yes. Adequate indeed. For my video gaming needs I needed something that will keep me awake on the bus, and yet will not be addicting like crack. This is not addicting like crack only because the main character himself is a complete jerk and I don't like him AND I suck at the game. So really it's perfect. If I fuck up and lose or get killed or something I think, "well, serves you right you ASS" and if I play it on the bus I don't fall asleep. Falling asleep on the bus scares me because one: you never know if people are going to steal your crap or take a shit in your hair or something and two: you fall asleep and you could wake up in Delaware or on the moon or in Jerusalem or wherever. It's a world of possibilities...




SO, I haven't watched or participated in anything that vaguely resembles anime in quite some time. With anime, I just kind of fell out of the loop. I have no idea whats cool anymore when it comes to the world of big eyes, spiky hair, awkward silences, and magical tear drops. In fact, during a recent trip to a comic book convention, I noticed some bizarre new changes in the way people experience anime that made me think very hard about the whole thing- and the best way to describe it would be to describe the history of the genre all together... and with that, I bring thee



A BRIEF HISTORY OF ANIME IN THE UNITED STATES



1960's: "yeah this cool racing show is groovy even though it was made by communists."



1970's: Cool robot toys enjoyed by a minority population of nerds within nerds...



1980's: "Yes, my sophisticated tastes in comics, or comix ranges from like Alan Moore and Frank Miller to the futuristic allure of Japanese Animation... plus, I may be the first to actually masturbate to this shit..."



1990's: There's Pokemon for kids, Sailor Moon for girls, and Boys say "I keep watching dragon ball Z and nothing's happening!" And more and more of the good stuff direct from japan is making its way to the shores.



2000's: "Whaddya mean Naruto is just as bad as dragon ball z??? Well, if you don't like it there are 65 million other anime titles you can choose from! And they're ALL great! In fact, statistically speaking there are five anime series per one person on the earth, and they all include the following things: sexual tension between boys and girls, magic, machines, time travel, made up animals, transgender themes, tentacle monsters, and a cold brooding guy who doesn't talk a lot..."



2000's and now: I like anime and nobody understands it. I am the cool brooding guy in the back. Let those fools wander around the comic book convention dress up like the Joker- I'm living a real lifestyle that they don't get when I'm at the same comic book convention. Now hand me my kitty ears. God, I wish some of these fools in Joker outfits would buy my homemade gothic lolita little bo peep outfits...



Or maybe not... these are just my feelings. Ya miss a few issues of "Animerica" and then you're lost in the Anime woods...hey is animerica even still around????
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment