Saturday, July 20, 2013

My Bucket List

Keeping in theme with my last post I decided to create a bucket list. I didn't envision this as a difficult project, but it turned out to be a lot harder than I originally thought! Many of my original ideas like "have lunch with Hillary Clinton" seemed nearly impossible, so I decided to remove anything that was unrealistic. The following is a list of 50 things broken down into categories that I dream (no matter how big, small, vague, or specific) of accomplishing in my lifetime.



Activities




1. Skydive (and convince my husband to come with me)

2. Learn to horseback ride

3. Sit in the audience at the Daily Show

4. Learn to cook

5. Successfully keep ONE plant alive

6. Grow a sustainable garden (clearly contingent on #5)

7. Go to Harry Potter World

8. Take a photography class

9. Relearn how to use a dark room

10. Own and learn how to use a D-SLR camera

11. Read more classic literature

12. Scuba dive

13. Swim with dolphins

14. Become a bad ass hiker

15. Pay off my credit card

16. Write more



Travel



17. Visit all 50 US States

18. Go to the Middle East

19. Visit Lake Tahoe

20. Visit Alaska

21. Stay in an over-water bungalow in Bora Bora

22. Visit WWII sites in Germany

23. Go to Santorini, Greece, and stay in a cliffside hotel

24. Visit Dublin, Ireland, and follow in the footsteps of Leopold Bloom

25. Hike in Yellowstone National Park

26. Go to Switzerland

27. Visit Hever Castle in Kent (Anne Boleyn's childhood home)

28. Eat fresh sea food and lounge on the beach in Cape Cod

29. Climb Mount Everest base camp

30. Spend a crazy weekend in Vegas

31. Visit Asia

32. Take my dad on a baller vacation



Personal Fulfillment and Growth



33. Go to Veterinary School

34. Regularly volunteer at an animal shelter

35. Volunteer at a wildlife rescue

36. Live on a self-sufficient homestead

37. Raise farm animals

38. Run an animal rescue on our property

39. Own a home with a wraparound porch and shutters (cliche, I know)

40. Live in a foreign country

41. Volunteer abroad

42. Have something published

43. Own and decorate a home

44. Make my home 100% green and sustainable

45. Recycle more

46. Have a successful marriage that lasts forever

47. Be more involved with politics on a local level

48. Learn to relax

49. Make a difference

50. Do meaningful work



While trying to formulate my list I discovered there were so many awesome things that I have already had the chance to experience in my short lifetime. There is no doubt this exercise helped me to appreciate my many blessings and accomplishments. Think reverse bucket list--a list of 50 things that I've accomplished or experienced that I am super proud of.



My Reverse Bucket List



I have:



1. Gotten a tattoo with special meaning

2, Married my best friend and the love of my life

3. Hiked the rainforest in Puerto Rico

4. Visited Old San Juan

5. Whale watched in the Pacific Ocean

6. Taken a cruise

7. Snow skied in upstate New York, West Virginia, Colorado, and the Smokey Mountains

8. Gone on several mission trips to Trinidad & Tobago, and Barbados

9. Donated to the ASPCA

10. Graduated from college with honors

11. Spent 2 weeks traveling England and Scotland

12. Visited Atlantis in the Bahamas

13. Toured Buckingham and Kensington Palace

14. Watched the changing of the guards in London

15. Visited Loch Ness (sorry to disappoint but we didn't see any monsters)

16. Spent the night in a castle

17. Gone to Edinburgh, Scotland during International Festival (so awesome)

18. Visited Pike Place Fish Market in Seattle

19. Visited Stonehenge (one of the 7 wonders of the world)

20. Traveled by train across Great Britain

21. Taken an international flight

22. Jet skied

23. Water skied

24. Parasailed

25. Boated the Intercoastal Waterway in Florida

26. Snorkeled in St. Thomas

27. Visited New York City

28. Seen a Broadway play

29. Shopped on Canal Street

30. Lived and vacationed in Washington DC

31. Taken a car ferry

32. Swam with sharks in the Bahamas

33. Lived in 4 different states

34. Visited Cozumel, Mexico

35. Had dinner at the top of the Space Needle

36. Hiked and white water rafted in the Smokey Mountains

37. Visited British Columbia

38. Visited Montreal

39. Visited Vancouver

40. Zip lined, rock climbed, and white water rafted in Mont Tremblant, Canada

41. Flown in the co-pilot seat of a cessna

42. Kissed a stranger

43. Used a public shower

44. Swam in Bioluminescent Bay

45. Star gazed on Isle de Vieques

46. Flown first class

47. Adopted a special needs dog

48. Visited a Buddhist temple

49. Fallen in love

50. And experienced the pain of loss



This isn't supposed to a "brag" list. These are experiences that I've really had. At the time, I thought they were great, but reading back through them (especially when I've been at work stuck in front of multiple computer screens) they seem even more "wow." I get such a lift when I read this, particularly as I approach my mid-twenties and life can sometimes seems a bit scary and stagnant. I get so excited at thought of life and all of the future adventures I am going to have. Now, it's your turn to create a bucket list. Go ahead, try it!
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment