Friday, July 19, 2013

TNU Box Office Preview: Man in the mirror

This may be a first.



At the movies this weekend, Ryan Reynolds battles himself by starring in "R.I.P.D." and the animated "Turbo." That's weird enough, but believe it or not, Mary Louise Parker is in the same boat. Parker stars in "Red 2and "R.I.P.D." Unfortunatly for them, fellow newcomer "The Conjuring" will likely rise to the top. Here's how the weekend box office should look come Sunday:




I don't know if "The Conjuring" is any good, and I don't plan to find out. None of the advertisements has made go "Ohhh I need to see that!" But then again, the film is marketed to younger people than me. However, the film's R-rating will keep many teens away, not that it will damage the movies grosses much. Director James Wan made a name for himself in the horror genre with hits like "Saw" and "Insidious." The two surprise hits likely helped him get the gig as the director of Fast & Furious 7. I'm sure Warner Bros. is hoping Wan's fans flock to the theatre to see his latest horror offering. "The Conjuring" is opening in 2,903 theaters, and a $35 million opening would not surprise me.



Second place could go to the animated film "Turbo." The film is about a radioactive snail (voiced by Ryan Reynolds) competing with race cars. Yeah, I wouldn't ask if I were you. I think Reynolds needed the check to pay for his wedding. Anywho, the movie hit theatres on Wednesday, scoring $5.6 million. That's a decent start, but keep in mind Dreamworks spent $135 million on the film.



"Turbo" may have trouble finding a big enough audience, since "Monsters University" and "Despicable Me 2are still going strong.On the bright side, "Turbo" is opening in 3,806 theaters, so a $30 million five-day opening is not out of the question.



"Despicable Me 2has topped the chart for two weekends in a row and earned over $500 million worldwide. The animated flick will suffer a drop, but $25 million, and a top three finish isn't bad either. Meanwhile, and I can't belive I'm saying this, "Grown Ups 2should stay strong with around $20 million. If it does, then heaven help us all.



"Red 2should see a $15 million weekend.That's actually not bad, and it could do slightly better because it has the older demographic all to itself. The $85 million action movie, reunites stars Bruce Willis, Helen Mirren, John Malkovich, as ex-CIA agents. Many people are probably surprised to see a Red sequel, but the original earned a solid $90.3 million in 2010, making Summit Entertainment eager for a sequel. "Red 2is playing in roughly 3,016 screens from California to the New York islands. I'm hoping to see "Red 2later today, so expect my review sometime this weekend.



The bomb of the week I'm sad to say, will be Universal's "R.I.P.D." The film teams Oscar-winner Jeff Bridges with "Green Lantern" star Ryan Reynolds. The film follows a pair of deceased police officers who are tasked with battling the undead on Earth. From what I've seen, buzz for the movie has been terrible so far.It should also be noted "R.I.P.D."was not screened early for critics, and that's never a good sign. I think the trailers and TV spots made it seem too much like the Men in Black films, and it's backfiring on Universal's marketing team.



"R.I.P.D." cost the studio $135 million to produce, and despite opening in some 2,852 theaters, it will be lucky to see $12 million this weekend. Sadly, a weak opening means this movie is about to join other recent comic book bombs "The Losers" ($9.4 million), "Dredd" ($6.3 million) and "Jonah Hex" ($5.4 million).
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment