Thursday, July 18, 2013

Tomato Tally

In the past 4 weeks, WE'VE HARVESTED 209 TOMATOES!



* Sunsugar tomatoes (cherry size):178


* Early Girl (medium):14

* Lemon Boy (large):17

* Champion (?):0

* Yellow pear (cherry size):0 (dead)



Here is our first mini harvest, from June 21st:



From the left you have white chard, red chard, early girl tomatoes, a yellow papaya squash, sunsugar tomatoes, and oregano.Below are wild chives and garlic greens.

I have never had such a huge production of tomatoes... but then, I've never had the right combination of heat/light/fertile soil either.We've eaten at least a little tomato every single day since the first harvest, and the plants show no signs of slowing yet.The Lemon Boy is a monster and has taken over 3 tomato cages so far.



Lemon Boy:A pretty accurate name

Will I let all this gardening success go to my head?You bet!At the very least, it's giving me a lot of inspiration to plan next year's garden.



I've also taken cuttings of the Lemon Boy and Sunsugar and planted them in another raised bed, and I have a very healthy cutting of Sunsugar growing in a pot.I intend to repot it into something larger soon, and then bring it indoors to the solarium when the weather gets cold, to see how long I can extend tomato season.



What have you planted that makes you feel like a superstar gardener?
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment