Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Week Five Day Three is an All Out Pull

My son is at camp today so I don't have any time constraints. Now I'm worried about the Check Engine light that popped on yesterday afternoon. Old Subarus are notorious for their finicky chips but since my car is over 10 yrs old, I've got more reason to worry that it's something serious. Of course the car's been making odd noises for the past several months, and I've had it looked at by three different places due to the bizarre fumes that accumulate in the front passenger side when the car is first started on a cold morning. Being old means something's bound to break, or rust off (another great Subaru quality). Still, I do love driving my car and I don't want to replace it. Foresters aren't built on the zippy Impreza frames anymore and I'm not sure I want a bigger car.



I get to the gym at 9:20 am and run almost immediately into B who wants to know why I'm so abrupt with people. Probably because I don't have patience for morons, but I don't actually say that aloud. I have to work at being pleasant, especially in the mornings. If I don't actually rehearse in my head, I tend to just say what's on my mind without any of the expected social graces. I'm so much more pleasant, even if it's completely fake, after my gym workout. When I first get to the gym I don't want to chat. I just want to work out. I'm trying to avoid the inertia that kills a good exercise routine. Don't think, don't talk. Just do it. Does this sound severe? Well, it IS effective.




The Cybex Arc Trainers (there are only two) are occupied but the Precors (there are three working and one perpetually broken) are free so I punch in my standard 30 minutes for Interval #7. I get a slow start but as usual, by minute 20, I'm feeling warmer and more limber. It seems to take a long time for me to warm up so no wonder I enjoy the double cardio days so much. Sweat starts to trickle down my neck by minute 25. This would explain why I'm not ready to cool down after 30 minutes, using the additional 5 min cool down period to rev up instead of down. But I can't spend all my time doing cardio because today is a full Pull Day. I don't know whether I'll be able to get to the gym this Friday so best to do arms, or at least biceps after doing my back workout.



WEEK FIVE DAY THREE PULL

35 min cardio intervals #7 = 4.53 miles Yay!

Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 60 / 10 @ 90 / 8 @ 120 / 3 x 6 @ 135 / 12 @ 105 lbs

I decided to cut my total sets on these by jumping a few increments and only doing one drop set.

Cage Stretch with BW heel dips and Sidekicks (for stretching)

Reverse Grip BB Rows: 6 x 12 @ 105 lbs

I got 15 reps on my first set, but thereafter, I had trouble again with my right hand gripping the bar. I managed to finish all my sets with the full amount of reps, but putting the bar down wasn't always graceful.

Pendlay BB Rows: 6 x 12 @ 65 lbs

I couldn't touch the bar to my stomach for at least half the reps on each set. Cutting my reps on this will probably help a lot.

Seated Alternating DB Curls: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs

These feel relatively easy and I wonder if my elbows are healed enough to attempt a few pull ups.

Pull Ups on a Smith Rack: 12

I haven't done them in such a long time that I was worried I'd forgotten how. My left elbow still hurts when I do this. I can barely do a dozen pull ups with my legs straight out in front of me.

Lower Back Extension Machine: 2 x 97.5 lbs

Ab Crunch Station: 100

Flat Bench Twisting Sit Up: 150

Standing BB Curls: 6 x 15 @ 45 lbs

These actually don't hurt my elbows so I'll stick with them for a while, perhaps doing 21s for a change of pace next week.

Reverse Grip BB Curls: 4 x 20 @ 40 lbs

My forearms are so pumped that the elbow braces feel uncomfortably tight but they don't hurt the way they used to so perhaps it's time to up the weight a tad.

Mat Stretch: as sore as my glutes and hamstrings are, my splits and stretches are surprisingly good. My body is much more limber than it feels which is odd. But I'm not complaining!



The gym scale reads 110 lbs and that's a lesson to me not to late-night snack on tortilla chips and salsa before going to bed. When I get home, my own scale tells me I'm 108.2 lbs with the same body fat, water weight and muscle percentage, and bone weight I've been for the past year or so (19.4% BF, 51.4 water, 38.9 % muscle, 4.6 lbs bone). My measurements haven't really changed much either, at least the parts I've been measuring (standard chest/waist/hips): 34/26/33.5 in inches. I'm amused by the fact that my measurements are now the reverse of last year's 33.5/26/34 but of course, that growth is all back (not chest), and the loss is in my glutes. Still, my clothes fit fine so I'm okay with all of it.



I've remembered to bring the monster zuke to give to Mo and place it in her locker. It looks really odd next to car keys and a cosmetic bag. I've got four more zukes in the fridge at home, along with a big bowl of wineberries, and some snow peas. There are several big yellow blossoms in the garden but I wanted the bees to get their fill before snipping the blooms to stuff with cheese later. My son actually ate all the raw blooms filled with slivers of American cheese, but he won't eat grilled or saut ed zucchinis. I like them cooked with butter and garlic.



In the free weight area, I recognize a few regulars like The Mayor, Nixon, Hoodie Tattoo, The Manchurian, Tall Pace, Ranger Rick, Skinny Blonde and ZZ. And I'm disappointed not to see R. He's probably busy, or on vacation. It is summer after all. At least tomorrow is Leg Day and that's exciting! Friday I"m not even sure I'll make it to the gym because I need to get the car looked at. Hopefully it's something quick and easy, like the chip needs to be reset. Friday I also go to see my old eye doctor and find out whether the generic version of my eye drops ()is working as well (although not good enough) as the brand name (R) medication.
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment