Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Galway Arts Festival 2013 versus Me

Heeeeeeeeeeyeveryoneeeeee!!!



I went to an art exhibit today




It was in the absolute gallery ...



yay!



I had to wait until 11 for it to open so I went into the shopping area



aaand I bought sone nice new shirts

... coming to the streets of Galway soon;)



anyways I digress ...



I went in expecting cool pinhead monsters and hellraiser heads like last year ..



but



:Oshock :O



no creatures



I was kinda dissappointed .. but I persevered ...



first there were lots of little buildings (made from cardboard - I think)

and there were biiiiiigphotos of what looked like ancient ruins...



pics + buildings = ruins, I guess



but then I turned a corner andWAO !!!

there was a crew and a tv camera



"this is my chance" I thought, "I'll walk in the bg and maybe get discovered"

:D

(bg = "background" in the biz)



So I did that for a bit and then...

I noticed there was no logo on the camera and one of the

crew was taking photos

so it was probably just GAF tv

(sigh .. I'll never get a break)



ignoring the siderooms for now .. I turned the corner...



Ahhhhhhhh..... sooo much empty space ...

Oh my fans ... I felt so insignificant in such a big area...



There were two huuuuugggggggge walls with GIANT buildings on them..

but, so much space..



I didnt get it at first, but it was dark and I noticed a little hidden gallery at the back of it

so, I went in to look at the photos...

they were cultural photos... but for some reason I cant remember ... I think it was street..

they were cool anyways...:D



then I came back out and I saw people sitting on a bench in between the two giant buildings

eh ?



and to be honest it was more due to the heat that I sat down than curiousity..

and I looked at the the other people

sitting

staring..

at buildings ?



so I looked (go with the flow, huh ?)



ok theyre buildings and

ok the image is huge and impressive,

and then, huh ? did that building just move

am I suffering from heat exhaustion ?



eeehhhhhhh ?



It did... It did move ... e v e r - s o- s l o w l y

Ahhhh now I get it;D



clever...



I turned and the other building was moving...



The art had taken me by suprise..

so, I learned something today.. to be more patient with art or to sit down more

(or something)



then after watching bulidings rotate slowly

I ventured into the dark rooms..



there was a dark curtain for a door

so I had a bit of a struggle opening it..

and for a minute there I wondered

"Is this a curtain or am I vandalising something ?"

luckily .. it was a curtain...



as soon as I peaked my head through the curtain

the people already inside looked up from the dark room

( socially awkward moment number 1 )

then I had to stand against the wall as all the seats were taken

( socially awkward moment number 2 )

then as the others were leaving, walking past me

( socially awkward moment number 3 )

I noticed there were more seats in front

( d'oh ... number 4)

this was a screen with muffled sounds and it kinda looked like

what u might experience underwater

( without fishies or plants or anything .. saltwater )



then I left that one

opening the curtain as people were looking in

( socially awkward moment number 5 )

I went to the other room and

It was the exact same people as in the first one

( socially awkward moment number 6 )

this was people living on an island

and intimate footage around the rugged island terrain

there were lots of sea sounds...

I got the feeling something bad was going to happen to

the people in the video and maybe it was linked to the video I just saw



( it reminded me of the Japanese Ringu movie video

"frolic in brine, goblins be thine" teehehe )



I dont know what this exhibit was called cos I NEVER read the info

or descriptions.. art should speak for itself..

or in aesthetic theory terms I can deconstruct this and give it my own postmodern explanation:D



anyways I went out into the blinding light and snooped around the merchandise

got a friendly hello from the store staff..

but I wasn't buying...



at that I left the exhibit

( with the cute shirts I bought earlier )

and went home for lunch...



and that's my experience of the Galway Arts Festival 2013
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment