Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 Year in Review

BEST OF, WORST OF... WHAT'S THE DIFF?THIS IS AN AUNT'S LIFE'S 2013 YEAR IN REVIEW!(CLICK LINKS FOR MORE)

IN MUSIC:




* Macklemore (and that guy he hangs out with) winning up a storm at this year's awards circuit. The music world was primed and ready for a fresh-voiced M.C. who treasures hiswares over the other guys' ice-out bling. (Did you catch the featuring another peek at the rapper with the softer side?In it, Mackelmore treats his future mother-in-law to a surprise home makeover. Adorable!)

* 2013 was my introduction to the always suave Robin Thicke (Also the world's introduction to .) Hey hey hey!

* Miley Cyrus helped us all sharpen our comedy skills . Simultaneously, she managed to leave a snail trail of saliva across the nation to which a large enough stockpile of Clorox wipes has not yet been found to reverse the effects. (Maybe they'll work on my eyes, though...)

* Justin Bieber finally jumped the shark. (Oh great! I just gave him another idea, didn't I?)

* Jared Leto's (sorry... Thirty Seconds to Mars') .A great way to listen to a good Rihanna song without having to actually listen to Rihanna. (Alright, you caught me. I liked her version too.)

* Will.i.am sues Pharrell Williams over his "i am Other" brand. I picture next year's turf battle to be Marshall Mathers vs the "My Name Is" badges at Office Max. Stickers, you're going DOWN!



ON TV:



* Always late to the party, I finally got into during its final season. I thought it was on HBO! I don't have HBO! I finished up season five with the rest of the planet (leading into what was, arguably, the best series finale in television history) and I've enjoyed binge-watching its past seasons ever since.Yes! I fit five seasons of TV-watching into one calendar year. What did you do?

* After a growing annoyance over the terms "granite countertops" and "stainless steel appliances", I finally managed to find a group of women snobbier than the young housewives on House Hunters. The middle-aged housewives buying vacation homes on House Hunters International! Quit looking for an American kitchen in a non-American home! Like you're really going to be cooking a full Thanksgiving dinner once a week in the Caribbean!

* Bates Motel was a perfect mesh of creepy, intrigue, drama and fabulous acting. And I don't even like scary stuff!before the next season begins in 2014. (P.S. Wahoo to Vera Farmiga and her Emmy nomination!)

* I got tricked into watching David Blaine: Real or Magic? in which he pierced through his own tricep with a knitting needle and threw up a belly full of water. Thus, answering the title's pressing question.

* Cell phone advertisers stepped it up a notch this year with hilarious bits from the kiddies pushing AT&T. (In my opinion, and the young lass whom I'm deemed should start traveling with an entourage. Of adoption agents. Because I want to own them!) also scored big with me. Totes magotes.

* nearly killed me. Providing me with instant onset depression and a crying headache that lasted for days!



* I'm not much a fan of country music or soap operas, yet Nashville managed to still get me thoroughly hooked. Besides. Who can resist !

* on cell phones (and kids, and life, etc.) on Conan was worth staying up late for.

* Under the Dome won me over just in time for the Time Warner/CBS dispute that took it off the air. (Thanks to modern technology, we could still watch it !) If you can't get into the plot, you can at least play my Spot the Killed Off/Canceled Actor game. (Head start: Hank from Breaking Bad, Deputy Shelby from Bates Motel, Lt. Mason from Detroit 187, the original Victoria from Twilight...)

* ABC Family canceled Bunheads, whose young dancers .

* And, for the Detroit locals, . Leaving me still longing for my forecasts, handsome with a chance of dimples.



IN MOVIES:



* Frozen. So, I may be a little behind on my yearly Oscar nominee binge. Maybe, all the way behind.As in, I haven't seen much (any) grown-up stuff (like, at all!) this year, but have caught plenty of cartoons with my nephews. Either way, I would still highly recommend Disney's newest animated film Frozen to anyone. I loved it. Little girls all fell in love with the newest princess characters. My nephews loved the humor and bits of action. It was a win-win-win all around. BEST Disney animated princess movie since Beauty and the Beast. I'll stand by that, too!



CAST REUNIONS THAT MADE US FEEL OLD:

School of Rock (10 years! Really?!)

Mystic Pizza

Boy Meets World

Freaks and Geeks

The Sandlot

Wayne's World

Full House.Not just here, but...

...Kimmy Gibler and D.J. Tanner were also spotted at a NKOTB concert together!

And then there's also the complete possibility that !

ON THE WEB



* This year I quit Candy Crush. Cold turkey.(But, may find myself in need of a Papa Pear Saga support group in 2014.)

* Pinterest. Where had you been while I'd busied myself on Facebook? Sorry to have ignored you for so long. Equally inspiring and enabling. I demand that you all follow me .

* Two words. . Love it or hate it, it happened and it's stuck in your head now, isn't it. Mwah-ha-ha-HA!!!

* . Read it. Live it. Be it!

* . They really are.

* What did ? Certainly not that!

* This blog brought in new readership with the continuously curious mix of search words including "Charlie Brown Violet Brat", "Fancy Comforters", "Garfield Halloween Cartoon Scary" and the ever popular "Meth Mouth" still being used! (And, I hit over 7,600 page views and counting this year. Thank you muchly!)



LET'S LEAVE IT BEHIND IN 2013:



* Hot Dog Legs pics. Let's pretend these never happened.

* Twerking.Saying it, watching it on YouTube and for heaven's sake doing it. Let's just stop all of the above in 2014.

* Michael Bolton hustling for Honda. At first, I was like "Awww... I didn't realize that I'd missed Michael Bolton." Then after hearing it air every 20 minutes, non-stop, I decided that maybe I was just thinking about .(Okay, fine. 's better than if I have to choose.)

* Real Housewives. All of them!Bravo has created a monster and now that monster must be slain.

* The . It doesn't even have moves! C'mon on now. Learn to dance a little bit next year, especially if you're going to record yourself doing it. Even if it's just a little left-together, right-together. If that's the best you can muster, I'll take it over a !

* Celebrating train wrecks. Miley, Lindsey, Amanda Bynes, Kardshian marriages... let's stop looking at them. Let's revere the nice people instead of the shallow, and encourage the struggling instead gawking at them.

* Kardashian overload. Take your Kanye and go!

* Saying "totes" instead of "totally", unless you're .

* Every word that my spellcheck did not accept from this post: "bling", "twerking", "Miley", "Bieber", "Kanye", "countertops"... huh?... wait, "Macklemore", "Facebook", "NKOTB". Maybe I should rethink this last bulletpoint.



HAVE A HAPPY, HEALTHY AND SAFE NEW YEAR!IF YOU NEED A RIDE HOME TONIGHTAND REQUEST ONE. PLEASE DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE! IT'S JUST NOT COOL.
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment