Sunday, December 29, 2013

this is the new year.

2013 is closing down. For good. Never ever again will we see another 2013.

So, I will recap and reflect and then look forward. Mind you, this will be longggggg.




Reflect:

I ask myself a couple questions every year at its end. 1) Did you do something extraordinary this year? It could be anything extraordinary to YOU. Small or big. Anything. 2) Do you have regrets? Hopefully the answer is no. And 3) Who or what are you grateful to for making your year, your year?

1. I think I might have done some extraordinary things. I got lost and I didn't mind. I just wandered. I finally finished drivers ed! WOOHOO. Only took me about 4 months, but I did it. :) I found a few passions that were hiding and didn't come to light until now. I made new friends. I branched out of my comfort zone thanks to a couple of those friends. I got closer to my longtime friends. I tried to fall in love with God everyday that I woke up. I tried to understand his love for me and appreciate all of creation. I started blogging! I started to sit down and write down all of my innermost thoughts and secrets and share them with the world. I learned to open up. These things, they are all extraordinary to me.

2. Regrets? Oh how I wish I had none. To be honest I don't think anyone has no regrets. But, I keep those regrets to myself. Don't think I have none because I do. And if you really search, you do too.

3. Oh gosh this list. Caitlin, how could I ever thank you for everything you've done for me over this past year. You keep my obnoxiousness in check, but you also accept that about me and I am ever so grateful for your friendship and acceptance. It means the world to me. Shantel. I could literally talk to you for hours about my problems and you would let me and sometimes that's all I need. And you understand. I promise to listen this year instead of always talking. You're my favorite. Brooke, Thomas, Dakota, Dedee, Jyoti, Victoria, and so many others. I have no idea where I would be today without you all. Every weekday I wake up just so excited to see your faces and to be in your company. You inspire me to be the best version of myself I could ever be and you accept me for me, flaws and all. You are the lights of my world. I have no idea how I got so lucky as to have you all in my life. Thank you.



My personal recap because I do what I want (like the Honey Badger).



Music of 2013:

Justin Timberlake started out the year strong, announcing his return to music with The 20/20 Experience.

Twenty One Pilots released their album Vessel.

Ew. Kidz Bop.

Justin Bieber released his Believe Acoustic album.

Tegan and Sara rocked the world with their single "Closer" and their album Heartthrob.

Beyonce rocked the Super Bowl.

Josh Groban whaaaaaaaat. All That Echoes released.

Bon Jovi is pretty cool.

OneRepublic with Native and "Counting Stars" is extremely catchy. I live for OneRepublic's music.

Cold War Kids with "Miracle Mile" and Dear Miss Lonelyhearts.

NKOTB. Okay.

Paramore with... Paramore? "Still Into You" is pretty catchy.

Olly Murs has some catchy tunes with "Troublemaker" and "Heart Skips a Beat". Right Place Right Time is released in the US.

Iron & Wine releases Ghost on Ghost and it's pretty darn amazing.

Can we just talk about The Neighbourhood? I Love You. was pretty much one of my top albums this year. If you haven't heard that album, you have to okay? Okay.

Youngblood Hawke with "We Come Running". Yes, we do.

98 Degrees. Nick Lachey. Uhm...

Fitz and the Tantrums release More Than Just a Dream. Again, one of my top favorites.

She & Him. Gotta love Zooey Deschanel.

Get Lucky gets lucky with #2 on Billboard Hot 100 Hits. Daft Punk anyone?

New Politics with A Bad Girl in Harlem whaaaaat.

Summer hits it off on the right note with The Lonely Island. "YOLO" ftw. For once.

"I Love It" Icona Pop. We do love it. #7 on Billboard Hot 100 Hits. Anthem of the summer yes.

Magna Carta... Holy Grail. Not one of my personal faves, but it made a splash.

Sara Bareilles was certainly "Brave". The Blessed Unrest is fantastic.

#BACKSTREETSBACK YEAH.

Robin Thicke glorifies date rape with "Blurred Lines". Like outright. Outrage.

The Civil Wars came back THANK GOODNESS.

Ben Rector with The Walking Inbetween.

Halcyon Days Ellie Goulding.

The 1975.

Bastille's Bad Blood is my #1 album of the year. From "Laura Palmer" to "Oblivion"... pure perfection.

Ariana Grande charmed the country with her extremely talented voice on Yours Truly.

Arctic Monkeys with AM.

Avicii made brought good DJing back with TRUE.

Grouplove anyone?

Lorde with Pure Heroine amazed the world with "Royals" at only 16.

JT with The 20/20 Experience: 2 of 2. TKO indeed.

Cage the Elephant and Melophobia.

Miley Cyrus. Ew.

Katy Perry and Prism made everyone "Roar".

James Blunt with "Bonfire Heart"! Love him.

THE WANTED. WORD OF MOUTH.

Lady Gaga got lots of "Applause" with ARTPOP.

One Direction made Midnight Memories with "Story of My Life".

Beyonce does what she wants. Surprise album. 14 songs and 17 music videos. She self-titled it Beyonce and then dropped it our of absolutely nowhere.

JUSTIN BIEBER RETIRED OH GOOD LORD, ANSWERING OUR PRAYERS.



In summary, from "Thrift Shop" to the "Harlem Shake", from "Timber" to "The Fox" this was a good musical year. I can't wait to see what 2014 has in store, big things will happen. :)



Books that I read this year or whenever that are positively noteworthy:

Divergent by Veronica Roth. The entire series was kinda disappointing, but the first installment was great! read the rest if you like, but don't expect too much. Kinda like the Hunger Games but what can you do? Movie coming soon yay!

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I know, January of last year, but I can't help but mention it. Along with all of his other books. John Green never fails to disappoint. His Youtube channel and all of his books are just fantastic! I can't help but just obsess over it. Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns... fantastic. Hey! Movie coming soon too!!!

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini. It's an oldie, but I have to mention it. Ned Vizzini sadly took his own life about a week ago. He struggled with depression for a very long time. His book brought me so much strength and hope and his eloquently written words were put together in all the right ways. Fantastic book. With a fantastic movie adaptation. Really great.



Top TV shows:

Doctor Who. Of course. Matt Smith's regeneration episode was God-awful painful. But Steven Moffat knows how to use words.

Supernatural. Again, painful, but worth it.

The Fosters. I got into this very recently but it is very good. Extremely well written and I ship #Brallie for lyfe.

Freaks and Geeks. Man. Linda Cardellini, young John Francis Daley (Dr. Sweets on Bones), Seth Rogen, James Franco, Jason Segel, Busy Phillips, Martin Starr, Samm Levine... What a cast. What a one season storyline. Watch it.

Movies:

Catching Fire ohmygod.

Desolation of Smaug ohmygod.

Thor: The Dark World ohmygod.

Now You See Me ohmygod.

The Great Gatsby ohmygod.

Sea of Monsters NO.

Grown Ups 2 hahahaha.

Iron Man 3 ohmygod.

Ender's Game ohmygod.

World War Z ehhhhh.

Oblivion ohmygod.

Identity Thief hahahahah.

The Host ohmygod.

Warm Bodies ohmygod.

Safe Haven ohmygod.



My personal favorite moments:

Imagine Dragons concert on 3/23 at the Fillmore. Best. Night. Ever.

Troye Sivan, one of my most favorite YouTubers came out to his subscribers.

As did Tom Daley.

So now 49% of Americans now favor gays and lesbians to legally marry.

My relationship with God hit its hugest bump. And that is a blessing.

I started blogging!

The National Youth Gathering.

I said goodbye to one of my mentors and allowed another one to enter into my life.

I started sophomore year and I am learning to ask for help when I need it.

I became obsessed with Doctor Who and literally watched every single episode. That 50th anniversary though. And regeneration episode.

Juarez.

Orchestra.

Harry Potter world in Orlando.

And others that I can't recall right now... :)



Others' Recap:



My year:

What. A. Year. What a rollercoaster ride God has put me on. I hate rollercoasters. Just by the way. So that was a sucky comparison.

I lost a close friend to stupid rumours and drama. Ugh. Thankfully I have her friendship back and although its not quite like it used to be, it's close enough for me. I gained new friends and became closer with many of my old ones.

My struggle with my depression and anxiety has gotten worse. A lot worse. My relationship with God has really struggled too. But you know what? I'm still here. I am alive and breathing and I am so thankful for that. I have a reason for being here and I am not going anywhere any time soon. You're stuck with me world, and you're going to have to deal with that.

God gave me some high, shining moments to be thankful for. Whether it be various get-togethers with my friends or nights alone in my basement, there are so many things to be grateful for. The National Youth Gathering this summer was such a blessing. I wish I could have shared that experience with more people. Lunches at school are always adventures. Different ones each day. Homecoming was stressful, but definitely a highlight. My mission trip to Juarez this year meant so many different things than it did last year and I cherished every minute.

I learned to appreciate my own company and thoughts, no matter how scary they may be. I also learned to appreciate the company of only one or two over the company of 10. Don't get me wrong, I love both, but I love having small conversations with just one other person sometimes better than with 15 different people. Also, my bus rides. I always look forward to them to and from school. I laugh for the entire ride.



Things to look forward to:

Europeeeeee 2014 frick yeah.

Peter Capaldi as the Doctor.

Next Christmas.

Friendship.

Driving.

New music.

New memories.



I think there will be one more post before this year closes out, but until then...



All my love.

~Tiara
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment