Thursday, November 28, 2013

Lily C.A.T.

Once again I am going to talk about an old show. I know, I know, no one watches that except of me. Still, you have to bear with me



This time I am not going to make a review, but instead it will be a reaction post. And the difference is that I am going to spoil the whole thing. Let's get started.




Lily C.A.T. was made back in 1987 by Hisayuki Toriumi. The show is a classic sci-fi story about a space ship going on a mission with the crew put to sleep. They will fly for 20 year to get to another planet and it will take them the same amount of time to get back. So they are more or less cut off the civilization while on the mission. Not to mention that they will return to a new world, that where 40 years has passed and almost no one knows them anymore. I have read more than one book that discussed this same problem of a long-term space travel (I am talking about books by some Russian sci-fi writers, Strugatsky brothers in particular; by the way I am sure some of their books are translated into English), but this is one of those things that don't get old. So I had some expectations for the movie from the very start.



You will see the significance of this screen cap in a moment ^.^



I am not going to recap the plot in details. In short, something went wrong and the ship got infected by some terrible bacteria that was killing people and creating some weird sort of monsters out of them. Also they learned that there is a criminal on the ship, so they had this issue to deal with as well.



And don't worry. They failed in every aspect and all died. Well, the two people survived for the time being, but not for too long I guess. Spoiler! I told you I am going to give away the plot Anyway, here why I decided to give away the plot.



That is a bacteria?I guess?O.o



You see, while the premise of the show was really good, I can't say that the made a wonderful job developing on it. The show still was really good, the atmosphere they made was impressive. Still, not outstanding. yet there was something outstanding there. And here it is.



First, the villain was a cyborg cat that was made by the company that send them to kill them so the company can save the money on the salary. Yeah. That is something that you see coming. Ever. Just thing scary idea is enough for me to give the show probes.



Again, you will see what this picture mans in a few seconds ^^'



The second thing was the way characters reacted on the horrible things that were happening around them. Here is an example. Imagine you are one of six or something survivors on a ship filled with deadly bacteria. And you see a hole in the wall made by this bacteria. What would be your reaction? Well, the character who saw this said "That is awesome" and proceeded to put his head close to it. We never saw him again.



A few minutes after, the last four survivors are standing in a corridor. One of them explodes, eaten by the bacteria from the inside. A horrible creature comes out of him and runs away through a vent shaft. A few seconds after one of the guys starts to talk about how interesting it is that this bacteria can use human flesh, yet it leaves the clothes. I don't think OI would be quite as calm in such a situation O.o



So this guy just saw what you saw on the picture above. How shock is he? Not that much -. -



And the last bit is just brilliant. So the last two survivors (a guy and a girl) left the spaceship that was blown up shortly after. And they are descending on a planet that is in an archaic period of its evolution (no big creatures, only insects and plants, from what I get). So they are doomed to spend their lives on this planet, not to mention that they are probably going to die of starvation. Oh, and there is this gigantic monster that is clinging to their ship that being burned up in the atmosphere. And here is the scene. the guy sits in his chair in front of all the shuttle controls and he got this thoughtful look at his face. And the girl asks him "is anything the matter?". Well, YES! Everyone dead, the spaceship is blown and you are descending to your grave! besides that, nothing much.



So I like this movie a lot. The animation was awesome and the character designs were very lovely. Orchestral music is always welcome too. And unlike many other old anime this one is safe for kids, there isn't even that much violence, only a little horror.



But anyway, sorry for spoiling the plot. But I had to let it out. See you next time (^^)/



To be the first one to see the newest posts, follow me on or . To see the catalog of the posts published in this blog .
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment