Monday, September 30, 2013

Halloween Decorations

It's already Fall again and it has me thinking about the next holiday- Halloween.My firstborn is already 1 and I feel keenly aware that I need to settle my mind at how I will approach and introduce these holidays to her as a Christian.I view Halloween as a day to play dress up and get some candy from visiting neighbors, but I know some of my Brothers and Sisters that feel convicted that it is demonic.While I feel that this issue is akin to 1 Corinthians 8, I am sensitive to the darker elements of Halloween that decorate many homes and public places.



By going through some decorations online, I made a list of what I think I will allow in my home and what I won't.My thinking behind this is that death, spirits, resurrection, the devil, and sorcery are taken too lightly and by taking it lightly, people tend to let their guard down on the real dangers related to these things.I'm undecided on monsters currently.




Yes:



* fall harvest crops- pumpkins, squash, potatoes, sweet potatoes, egg plant, zucchini

* barren trees and leaves

* moon and stars

* crows, owls, bats

* cats, mice/rats, wolves

* spiders and their cobwebs

* dragons, dinosaurs, unicorns, gryphons



No:



* graveyards, gravestones, coffins, skeletons, grim reaper

* detached body parts like eyeballs and hands, zombies, mummies

* haunted houses and ghosts

* witches- their cauldrons, crystal balls, brooms, hats, shoes

* demons, the devil



Undecided:



* monsters- vampires, Frankenstein's monster, werewolves



I think that I have to note that I would not "freak out" if my child were given something that had stuff from the "no" list on it or if she was in a place that was decorated with them.This list reflects my household only and I do not expect others to follow it!
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment