Friday, September 27, 2013

Going Solo in the City of Gentle People, Dumaguete

After a short hike up Mt. Kanlaon, my hiking bud Arisse and I went on separate adventures. From Canlaon City, Arisse traveled back to Bacolod for a quick food trip before catching an evening flight to Manila, while I rode a 4-hour van down Dumaguete City where I spent 3 days.



Sibulan Airport near Dumaguete's city center




Known as a slow, quiet city where people are uber friendly, I knew it was the perfect place to hibernate as I was craving for time to just stop.

As we had spent several days in Canlaon which is up in the mountains and twice more quaint that Dumaguete, I was slightly overwhelmed as I walked around the city center on the first day. There were vehicles zipping everywhere, several ATM machines and lots of huge building.I soon got into the slightly quicker groove of things and in no time, I was wandering around on foot comfortably.



The elevated tricycle along with motorbikes are the main mode of transportation

in the city.



I stayed at Harold's Mansion, a backpacker's lodge near Siliman University, established in 1901 and is the first American university in Asia. It's not just an educational institution but also a touristattraction with its old buildings, Acacia trees and its very own Marineand anthropology museums.

Everyday, I walked along Rizal Boulevard, a strip of land lined with ginormous trees and a view of Dumaguete City bay, a treat to the eyes for nature-lovers! :) Across the boulevard, are restaurants and bars where locals and tourist hang out.



Of all the trees along this airy boulevard, this is the one I fell in love with.:) I am

amused how its branches stretches upward, like it's embracing the sky.



Lookie, scattered cloud formations! :)



Food tripping was excellent too for all its cheap yummy food. I dined at Sans Rival cafe a couple of times which is popular for its silvanas and pastries.In fact, many people come here just to buy silvanas.

Since I came there frequently, I actually made friends with the guard who conversed with me in Bisaya. My little understanding of the dialect proved to be useful as I I was able to answer back in Tagalog. :P Kasabot ko gamay pero dili kaistorya. :P I need practice.



Breakfast is served at Sans Rival Bistro from 7AM-10AM which is right next door to

its cafe, Sans Rival Cakes & Pastries which opens at 9am. Sans Rival Bistro is quite elegant with waiters and chandeliers inside,a nice place to dine with a group.



Cookie Monster cake and a nice cup of brewed coffee at Sans Rival Cakes and Pastries.

I can't believe this delicious cake's only 29 Pesos while the cup of joe's at 30 Pesos!



A place which I truly enjoyed hanging out solo was at Mooon Cafe along Siliman Avenue. It's a Mexican-inspired cafe with attentive, smiley staff, colorful, interesting interiors and aptly priced drinks.



On the Photo :A cup of rice, Tangigue steak &Pomelo and Mango shake.

I also tried the Gambas Al Ajillo (shrimps sauteed in olive oil). Bill was at 400 Pesos

which is fair enough.



Another treat which I drooled over was the fried ice cream at Panda's Ice Cream Haus. It's ice cream that's place in the middle of deep-fried dough. The place is open daily from 9AM-8PM and is a few blocks from Siliman University along Ma. Cristina Street.



My first "meal" in Dumaguete (55 Pesos)



Those who love old buildings will also be intrigued with the Spanish inspired interiors of Cafe Antonio. Located at the second floor of the Spanish Heritage building along the corner of Santa Catalina and San Juan Street, one can find paintings and other interesting decors. It's open 10AM-11PM, Monday-Saturday.Food I tried was decent although it's nothing that I'd be missing. I'm willing to go back and try more though.



Romantic ambiance at Patio Victoria inside Cafe Antonio



Slow, quiet time was what I craved for and it's what I got in the three days I was here.



DAGHAN SALAMAT DUMAGUETE! :)



TRAVEL NOTES :

- Van from Canlaon City to Dumaguete departed at 11:00 AM and took 4 hours (185 Pesos). The terminal's near the city center and here's where you can also find the Ceres buses back to Bacolod city and to the nearby province of Cebu.The scenic route passes by the national highway which has really awesome views of the turquoise waters of Ta on Strait. There's also several resorts along the way.



- If going back to Manila, take a tricycle to Sibulan Airport (it costs 50 Pesos/trike if you're at Hibbard Avenue where Harold's Mansion is). Airport Terminal fee's 75 Pesos as of (Sept. 2013).



BUDGET ACCOMMODATION IN DUMAGUETE :

- If you're on a budget and traveling solo, try . It offers clean single rooms with t&b at 400 Pesos/night and comes with a free continental breakfast & unlimited cups of coffee at tea from 6AM-10PM. Breakfast is served at its roof deck, an airy open space with a great view of Mt. Talinis, one of the highest peaks in Negros island. From here, you can walk to Ibiza bar, Siliman University and the famous Rizal Boulevard (a 15 minute walk). Trike drivers know this placea lot as it's a fave among backpackers.



- Other good places to stay is (across Rizal Boulevard, really good location and close to restaurants) and One Bethany Place (a 10-Pesos trike ride away from Rizal boulevard) and walking distance from the pasalubong center, Sidlakang Negros Village.



- For other accommodation options, check out this helpful blog,



PASALUBONG SHOPPING :

Sidlakang Negros - along E.J. Blanco Drive in Piapi showcases delicacies and crafts from Negros Oriental

Bong Bong's - Robinson's Mall



DUMAGUETE TRAVEL ITINERARY? Pinoy Adventurista shared these very informative posts: :)
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment