Sunday, November 10, 2013

Baked Blueberry Almond oatmeal bars

Recently, I found a recipe dFor baked blueberry almond oatmeal bars from Iowa Girl Eats. And they are delicious! Now, I make them every week and they make a convenient snack for during the day.

All the ingredients Mix all the ingredients together And place in a 8x8 pan




Makes 8 bars



Inspired by



INGREDIENTS:

1-1/2 cups old fashioned oats

1/2 cup chopped raw almonds

1/2 cup dried blueberries

1/4 cup flax seeds

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1-1/4 cups milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)

1 egg, whisked

1 teaspoon vanilla



DIRECTIONS:



* Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir together oats, almonds, blueberries, flax seeds, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add milk, egg, and vanilla then stir to combine. Pour mixture into a nonstick-sprayed 8 8 baking dish then bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes our clean. Cool completely then cut into bars/triangles and store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, or individually wrap in saran wrap and freeze. Microwave to reheat.



Mmm! Pillowy and packed with great textures and flavors, have fun with these!



In other news, we survived our first restaurant outing post-baby! Yesterday Ben worked from home so we snuck out to grab a quick lunch at one of our favorite nearby restaurants (which also happens to be one of the fastest!) - .



After a few pleasedontwakeup, pleasedontwakeup prayers, our little guy stayed conked out the entire meal. Sweet! It was so nice to get out with Ben. The first family outing had to happen sometime so you might as well rip the bandaid off early!



Regarding more baby/family posts, I'm thinking about starting a baby channel here on IGE. That way the people who are interested in those types of posts can read them, and the people who aren't, won't see them coming through the main feed. Like I said, my goal and intent is to keep this a food/cooking blog, but Motherhood is a big part of my life now, and I'm interested in writing about it! Already have a bunch of post topics floating around my head. Stay tuned for more details. : )



Well wherever you are, and whatever you do, have a wonderful weekend! See ya'!



Tags: , , ,



Categories: ,



Comments:COMMENTS



108.16.2013



NICE pics! I can't wait to try these bars..



Your baby is so sweet, that he can sleep while you enjoy your meal. Perfect



Kerry08.16.2013



These look delicous and I love the idea of freezing them! My husband is a huge fan of your frozen burritos!



Can't wait for the Motherhood page! I just had twins 12 weeks ago so babies are definitely on the brain!



08.16.2013



These look delicious and healthy too! I love that they are portable and would be a great afternoon snack.



Kim08.16.2013



These look so yummy!! A few quick questions - do you have to use old fashioned oats or could you use the quick cooking ones, do you think that you could use fresh blueberries (loving the yummy fresh blueberries right now! ), and do you think that you could double this and put it in a 9*13 pan (I have a big family.) - would the baking time remain the same? Congratulations on your sweet baby boy!!08.16.2013



You could probably use quick cooking oats, and I'd use fresh blueberries over frozen if you don't want to use dried. I think it'd be fine to double the recipe, too, may just need 5-10 more minutes baking time!Nicole08.16.2013



Yay for the baby posts! You are brave for taking him out so early! Good for you! Cannot wait to read posts about motherhood!



08.16.2013



Yum, looks so good! Cute photo, too!



08.16.2013



Those look amazing! My 4 year old is obsessed with the blueberry luna bars, but boy, those aren't cheap. I wonder if he'll approve of these?! As for your outing with little Lincoln, I'm telling you, strange as it may seem, those first few months are the perfect time to hit the restaurants. Sleeping babies in car seats trump feisty, bored, hyper, toddlers ENJOY!



Amanda08.16.2013



I would love to see a baby section. I forgot to mention in my survey but I'd also love a birth story post (if you're interested/willing to share). Maybe it's because I'm two days from my due date, but I'm just so curious/anxious about what's to come.



lauren08.16.2013



I wish you'd intertwine the baby pics with your food pics..it's such a sweet treat to see him and how beautiful he is!!! regardless, i will check out both food and baby pics daily! i am printing these bars to make this weekend..they look sooo good!!! do you think fresh blueberries would work? i have a freezer full of them!08.16.2013



I think fresh blueberries would work, though I'd thaw and drain frozen ones first!lauren08.16.2013



my frozen blueberries are from my own bushes we've planted 4 or 5 each year and have quite the hedge of them..i have quarts and quarts of them in my freezer ..i will rinse and drain and dry and try them this weekend! can't wait to add this to my grab and go breakfast supply in my freezer!08.16.2013



Love the idea for baby posts! You could call it Iowa Baby Eats. congrats on your beautiful boy!08.16.2013



oh my gosh, iowa baby eats, that is only the best idea!08.16.2013



i would definitely read a motherhood page, even though i'm not a mama yet. variety is the spice of life!



08.16.2013



You are brave to take the baby out to a restaurant this early. We were paralyzed with fear of leaving the house with ours for a good 3 months. Good for you.



Jo08.16.2013



How do you think fresh blueberries would do in these? I just bought a BUNCH of blueberries at a big sale at Kroger so I hate to go buy dry ones now. I'd love to use fresh, maybe I will try and find out? I just don't want it to be a waste if it turns out horrible08.16.2013



I think fresh would turn out fine!Abby08.16.2013



I frequently pin your recipes and have tried many (great!), but this post made me jump up from my desk and get these in the oven. I can't wait to eat my snack in 25 minutes! Keep up the awesome work. And congrats on the baby. Such a sweet time your life.



Karen08.16.2013



Hi, Kristin - Congratulations on your beautiful son. I am looking forward to having Iowa Baby join your blog. I wanted to mention that flax seeds are insanely good for you, but in order to reap the benefits, you need to grind them first. Whole flax seeds typically pass right through as our bodies can't digest them. I grind my flax seeds in a little handheld coffee grinder. Have a great weekend!Shelley08.16.2013



Karen, I was thinking the same thing. I always grind flax seed before I use it.



Kristin, you might want to look into if flax is okay for breastfeeding Mommas. This site states there could be a risk.08.16.2013



Yummy! Those look so simple to make and delicious!



Happy you were able to go out with Ben and your son!



Lisa08.16.2013



That's the best part about young babiesthey tend do very well in restaurants! Take them out for a late dinner, and they just snooze away in the carrier and the server might not even know you have a baby with you Enjoy that freedom (before he's big enough to not want to stay seated for a minute and grabs everything off the table in 2 seconds. haha!). He's a cutie.



Molly08.16.2013



These bars sound very tasty! Glad to hear your first family outing went well fast restaurants are definitely the way to go! I am so impressed that you are back to posting great recipes after only a few weeks! You are very dedicated. Hope you have a wonderful weekend with your adorable baby boy! : )



08.16.2013



I love everything about this recipe! Dried blueberries, almonds yum!

I think a baby page is a brilliant idea. I'm not a Mather yet but I need to Lear as much as possible to prepare one day soon so I'd enjoy reading about your experience with motherhood. Plus, adorable pics of Lincoln wouldn't hurt either!



Nicole G08.16.2013



These look like the perfect on-the-go breakfast with a cup of coffee! With two kiddos in two different schools this year and me working full-time Monday thru Friday, I hardly have time for breakfast for me! And I must add, how wonderful do you look!?!?! You amazing and little Lincoln is just too sweet! Hope you are enjoying your time as a new Momma! Best wishes!



08.16.2013



These sound so wonderful!!! Love all things blueberry and almond! (And BLIZZARDS!!!)



08.16.2013



I've been meaning to try an oatmeal breakfast bar for my teenage son who has texture issues with oatmeal. I'm thinking something resembling a cookie might help him overcome it

Thank you for the recipe - it looks wonderful!



I'd love seeing a baby page. Even though mine are pretty much grown, I still love babies.



Abby08.16.2013



These sound and look delicious! I am ready to make them for my entire family!!! Great breakfast on the run or after school snack on the way to one of our various sports! I do have one questiondo you have a breakdown of the nutritional info on these? Just curious where they fall on the WW scale!!! Thanks for sharing!



Kristi08.16.2013



Do you think milled flax would work? I put that and chia seeds in my oatmeal smoothie every morning.08.16.2013



I think so, though I've never tried. I might add a touch more milk since it would make the "dough" a bit more dry.Emily S08.16.2013



looks divine! my toddler would like too because he doesnt like dry granola bars



Lisa N08.16.2013



I can't wait to try these!!!



Erika M08.16.2013



Love the baby pics! Still doing Friday Favorites?



08.16.2013



Gah! I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't be interested in knowing more about sweet baby Lincoln, but I suppose I could click over to a separate channel to read all about him.

These bars look divine! I have a big bowl of cherries staring at me, about to go bad, that I might need to transform into something along these lines.

P.S. Hurray for speedy Mexican restaurants! They're always our go-to when we don't have a lot of time.



08.16.2013



These sound delish and I'm adding them to the mix. My breakfasts have been so boring lately. I need to switch it up!



Sandy08.16.2013



Please please please add a baby channel!!! I'm due in 4 weeks and think it will be so fun to read relevant content!



Jenny08.16.2013



Yes, yes, yes, please keep us posted on baby- I'd love a baby channel!



Pat08.16.2013



Did you use whole flax seed or ground? Just wondering since everything I read says to consume them ground.



08.16.2013



YES! Please do that No babies over here but I love reading about them. Plus little Lincoln is extra precious!



Lizzie08.16.2013



Yum, I can't wait to try these.

I like your idea for the "baby channel"best of both worlds!



Jennifer D.08.16.2013



These look delicious! Will be making some this week. And you are right, dried blueberries are really expensive! I will have to check Target and see if I can find some.



Annie08.16.2013



I love the idea of a separate channel for your new baby boy! It seems like lately all my favorite interior design and food bloggers have had babies, and while I'm stoked for them, as a gal who just hit a two year anniversary of infertility, it's often too hard to keep reading the blogs when they're innudated with new baby/happy three of us pics. This way, when I'm feeling up I can see all the fun family pics, and when I'm down, I can still check in for just a great recipe. Awesome!



Cristal08.16.2013



Hey Kristin, I tried your cherry-almond cookie dough oatmeal for breakfast and it was absolutely fabulous! I tend to make the same kind of oatmeal and this one will definately be in my breakfast rotation! Thanks for the great recipe!!!! Take care of yourself and that little baby



Cynthia08.16.2013



Those look yummy definitely going to whip up a batch soon. Yay for the baby posts! Cannot wait to read posts about motherhood! Cute pic



Carma08.16.2013



The bars look great. I think I need to make them this weekend.

Sweet picture with the little one. And we love that restaurant. I swear they have the food you order ready before you finish ordering with your waiter.



08.16.2013



These bars are the perfect busy morning breakfast! Love dried blueberries! Going to have to look for them at Target!



Tracy08.16.2013



Pinned the recipe looks great! I think I'll try chia instead of flax cuz that's what I have in my pantry.



Baby channel sounds like a winner! Can't wait to follow along He's a cutie for sure!



Angie08.16.2013



I think the baby channel is a great idea! I am so excited to read more about little lincoln, but I think it is very sensitive to those who might be turned off by it!



Mel08.16.2013



No more Friday favorites?08.16.2013



It's on hiatus right now (no time to surf the internet!) but hope to bring it back semi-regularly in the future.Donna08.16.2013



I'm SOOOO excited about the idea for a baby page!!! I love hearing other people's experiences/joys/challenges in this wild world of parenting



Liz08.16.2013



This recipe looks great! I always seem to have a hard time fitting breakfast into my day. Congrats on your little boy too!



Jenny08.16.2013



Yay for baby posts! I have loved your blog for awhile but I was so excited when you announced you were pregnant. I just had my first, a little guy as well, at the beginning of July. Feels good to get out to eat, right?!



08.16.2013



I still can not eat eggs over easy after I had my kids. My husband made some when our twins were newborns, and the runny yolk gagged me. Stay far away from the ice cream for now; that would really stink if you had to give that up forever runny eggs are one thing, but DQ a whole different level!08.16.2013



P.S.

I shared an adaption of your Green Monster Smoothie on my blog today. This looks like another good breakfast recipe for some clean eating! Thanks, Kristin!08.16.2013



I LOOOOOVE the baby channel idea!! Also these look super easy and delicious
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment