Monday, November 11, 2013

Halloweek Hootenanny: All Hallows Eve Ponderings From Our Favorite Freaks (Day 2)

Back for more Halloween mayhem, eh? Well, today's batch of fresh meat should quench that appetite at least until Day 3 rears its head tomorrow! What's that? You missed ?! Well, we're talking to some of the finest and freakiest minds in horror entertainment, and taking a trip down Halloweenie Lane. And we're partnered up with , who are providing the soundtrack to fuel your insanity!



And speaking of insanity we'll start today's segment with Zombie Zone News' own Steve The Zombie!




STEVE THE ZOMBIE (WRITER, CREATOR OF THE "BETTER SAFE THAN ZOMBIE" PROGRAM)



1. What's a song that screams Halloween to you, and why? (It doesn't have to have a Halloween/horror theme, but could have an arrangement that just gives you the chills or creeps you out.)



I would have to say "I'm Your Boogie Man" as covered by Rob Zombie. The first time that I have ever heard that song was on a horror movie compilation disc called Boogie Men. If you haven't seen it, think VH1 style pop videos with horror movies!



2. Do you have a favorite Halloween costume/memory?



That's an easy one! I would have to say my Steve The Zombie costume I created for charity events. It took me About 5 years to make it into the undead monstrosity that it is today!



3. The clock strikes midnight and everyone at the party is transformed into whatever their costume is--what's the outfit that you'd most regret being caught in?



Probably a giant toilet paper roll, that would be a shitty situation



IAIN MCKINNON (AUTHOR OF DOMAIN OF THE DEAD AND FROM THE TORMENT OF DREAMS)



1. What's a song that screams Halloween to you?



Well "Monster Mash" is to Halloween as "Jingle Bells" is to Xmas - that's the first song that comes to mind but my favorite Halloween track (or at least one that evokes Halloween for me) is Type O Negative's "Black No. 1 . The lyrics are just delicious and it has the best harpsichord solo this side of the 18th century.



2. Do you have a favorite Halloween costume/memory?



When I was younger and had hair I did a wicked Eric Draven from THE CROW impersonation, but my girlfriend (now wife) didn't like it as I got into character too much and would be all moody. The best costume though was an Orc. I had two fancy dress parties one day after the other so I decided to wear the Orc costume to both. I drove past the same toll booth both nights and on the second night the guy laughed and said "You're the Orc from last night I was hearing about."



3. What's your favorite horror story?



SOLE SURVIVOR, the 1970s movie about the ghosts of a bomber crew trapped in limbo by the wreckage. That always comes to mind as a great Halloween movie. It's a ghost story of sorts. Not a modern shocker more like an Edger Allan Poe story. Very over looked. And William Shatner's in it:)



D.L. SNELL (AUTHOR - ROSES OF BLOOD ON BARBWIRE VINES, CO-AUTHOR - PAVLOV'S DOGS)



1. What's a song that screams Halloween to you?



"Creep," by Radiohead. And anything by Miley Cyrus.



2. Do you have a favorite Halloween costume/memory?



My niece just showed me her Grim Reaper costume, which reminded mefor several years in a row as a kid, I wore the Reaper too. I loved that costume! But nothing beats Mr. Three Eyes here (pictured - top right).



3. What's your favorite horror story?



This sounds weird, but the fifth season of AMC's MAD MEN (their Dante's Inferno season), and perhaps even a few episodes from season four, is some of the most unsettling TV I have ever witnessed. The show, an existential drama, borrows language from horror films, but for completely incongruous subject matterwhich makes for some of the edgiest, creepiest period drama about the 60s you're likely to see.



4. The clock strikes midnight and everyone at the party is transformed into whatever their costume is--what's the outfit that you'd most regret being caught in?



I don't know, the girl costume might be kind of funOh! I think I'd most regret the time my wife and I went as the voices in your head, and I dressed up as the good voice (pictured - bottom right). That would suck. I'd be the first one the monsters would want to kill!



LEAH LAZY (SCULPTOR - LITTLE LAZIES)



1. What's a song that screams Halloween to you?



"Dead Skin Mask" by Slayer always gives me the chills, though at the same time I love it, because it's Slayer and plus it's so very horrific being about Ed Gein the serial killer - suitable for Halloween, don't you think? Just give it a listen to the end, you'll see why it gives me chills! ()



2. Do you have a favorite Halloween costume and/or memory?



I have to be honest, I've had some pretty lame costumes in the past, but my favorites would be either my Japanese school girl or Geisha costumes (I like Asian stuff, as you can tell.) My favorite Halloween memory is the one that was quite sticky to say the least; I call it "The Night of the Epic Marshmallow Fight!" Perhaps that title says it all, but all I can say that, 1. Marshmallows, when thrown at you, hurt more than you would think, and 2. We were finding marshmallows for days after that



3. The clock strikes midnight and everyone at the party is transformed into whatever their costume may be - what's the outfit that you'd most regret being caught in?



Ah, this is a good question! The costume I would regret being transformed into the most would be a Nun - I am sure you can guess why!



J.M. MARTIN (CO-AUTHOR OF THE DEAD WEST SERIES & RAGNAROK PUBLICATIONS' CREATIVE DIRECTOR)



1. What's a song that screams Halloween to you?



I often get goose bumps during a track on The Decemberist's 2005 album, PICARESQUE, entitled "The Mariner's Revenge Song." It's an epic eight-minute (plus) song about ghostly vengeance and Divine Providence, and it takes place in the belly of a whale of all places, which is pretty damn awesome in itself.



The chorus is sung by Jenny Conlee in ghostly fashion as she embodies the narrator's mother, who, on her deathbed, charges her soon-to-be orphaned son to exact vengeance on a persuasive but ultimately corrupt, whoring, debt-ridden, alcoholic sea captain who has wronged them. The lyric goes: "Find him, bind him, tie him to a pole and break his fingers to splinters. Drag him to a hole until he wakes up, naked, clawing at the ceiling of his grave."



Chilling, yeah? Ah, I think I'll go have a listen now ().



2. Do you have a favorite Halloween costume/memory?



I have a Ring Wraith costume I put together the year after THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING movie came out. I blended into the darkness very well, and I stalked and scared the shit out of many a trick-or-treater. I only stabbed one of them. He was short and had exceedingly hairy feet, so he pretty much deserved it.



3. The clock strikes midnight and everyone at the party is transformed into whatever their costume may be - what's the outfit that you'd most regret being caught in?



This year's. I'm going as a bag of sugar. My wife's brilliant idea. She has a leopard suit and is going to carry an old hearing aid trumpet. She's a "deaf leopard " and I'm a bag of sugar (). Get it?

Hey, I never once professed to be cool.



That's all the crazy we can fit in for today, kids! Join us again tomorrow for Day 3 of our Halloweek Hootenanny. And if you missed any of yesterday's shenanigans - either here or on 411 Underground Radio - just follow the links below



WANT TO KEEP UP WITH SURFIN' DEAD WHEN YOU'RE NOT ENJOYING HIS CRAZY ANTICS HERE?
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment