Saturday, November 9, 2013

The Twilight Zone: Best Episodes

"There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call THE TWILIGHT ZONE." -Rod Serling



So, in lou of the Holiday, I thought I would talk about the best TV series known to man. It's that one TV series that isn't necessarily frightening in the way that it makes you overly sensitive to your surroundings but it is frightening in the way that it makes you want to pee your pants. I mean, in all honesty, I find this show to be the core of fright; the creator of fright! It is a show that takes you you beyond a fifth dimension beyond what is known to man. It is a dimension that will twist and confuse the very thoughts in your mind. It is the middle ground between confusion and fear. It is a show that we like to callTHE TWILIGHT ZONE.




I love this series, so much. I was just recently going through a few episodes when I realized, "how can one man cork up this many twisted and confusing short stories for so long?!" Rod Serling was a genius! 156 episodes and 92 of them were written by yours truly (Rod Serling, not me, silly).



Anyway, I would like to share with you all, the best Twilight Zone Episodes from seasons 1 through 5. I would have re-watched them but netflix decided to be a punk and remove 95% of the Twilight Zone Seasons. I was looking amongst the seasons and found only 1 and 2, hoping it was a joke. No, it was not. Either way, here is my list, tell me what you think in the comments below and have a safe Halloween!



TIME ENOUGH AT LAST (EPISODE 8, SEASON 1)



This is one of those Twilight Zone Episodes where you finally think something has gone right for the protagonist after being so heavily abused by coworkers and evil bosses, then suddenlyYou realize that you're watching The Twilight Zone. But that's what makes it great! One more thing, did this guy ever come to think of food? Maybe a shower? A tooth brush! There's more than just books, my friend.



THE HITCH-HIKER (EPISODE 16, SEASON 1)



One of the best Twilight Zone Episodes. Pretty frightening in the way that there were no frights. If that makes any sense at allWhat I mean is, the Twilight Zone never had to make up for their fear factor with jump scares and bloody terror, it was all manufactured by psychological emotion! You could always get that eerie feeling after watching. Don't tell me it's not true! (P.S. Sorry for the awkward music in this clip, it was all I could find!)



THE MONSTERS ARE DUE ON MAPLE STREET (EPISODE 22, SEASON 1)



This episode is great for many reasons. First off is the ending. But isn't that every Twilight Zone Episode? Also, I love the kid in this episode! Little Tommy, who could also be recognized as the "boy from Auntie Mame." Did you all know that he is an Attorney now? He looks nothing like how he used to it's almost like he entered into, The Twilight Zone. Dun dun! (P.S. Once again, it is extremely hard to find a good clip for you all! I do apologize!)



THE AFTER HOURS (EPISODE 34, SEASON 1)



Ok, now this episode is just straight out creepy! I recall watching it the first time and, man oh man, what a thrill! If you haven't seen this episode, I highly recommend it. It is one of those Twilight Zone episodes that is only good the first time you watch it.



THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER (EPISODE 39, SEASON 1)



This episode is creepy for one reason and one reason alone! That face!!! You know, I do admit that through the 50s to the 90s, there were some pretty creepy animations, that do not compare to today's "up to date" animation styles. Where is the creativity now-a-days! There is just replicas of what was once created. Well, that is excluding James Wan (Director of Insidious, The Conjuring), now that man is a modern Rod Serling, indeed.



THE HOWLING MAN (EPISODE 5, SEASON 2)



Again, with those suspicious endings. The Twilight Zone, I believe, had great success in creating a surprise twist in the ending. I highly doubt there could be a replica of it, it was to unique for it's time. Moving forward, I found this to be one of those jaw dropping episodes. Although a bit slow in the beginning, it was so worth the wait!



TWENTY TWO (EPISODE 17, SEASON 2)



Another great and creative episode. I actually and quite shockingly, found this women (in the image above) to be quite startling. It could be due to the fact that I was most definitely on the Protagonist's side through the episode and her feelings of the female nurse were similar to mine. But, I mean don't you think she's kind of odd looking?



LONG DISTANCE CALL (EPISODE 22, SEASON 2)



It's always the children. That's what I realized after watching this episode. It is always the kids! I found this episode particularly interesting because it seemed (to me) that the little boy (forgot his name) was conscious of the fact that his grandmother was dead, and he didn't mind speaking with a person who isn't alive? Yeah, but that's just the Twilight Zone. Always ready to weird ya out!



IT'S A GOOD LIFE (EPISODE 8, SEASON 3)



Another child. Need I say more? All I can say to you is to be very careful with children who look suspiciously sweet and clean. They may point their finger at you



LITTLE GIRL LOST (EPISODE 26, SEASON 3)



This episode has always reminded me of a literal sense of The Twilight Zone. I feel that Serling created an actual portal that led this little girl to that "fifth dimension unknown to man." Not exactly the portal to Narnia. Also, doesn't that man look a little like James Stewart? Speaks a bit like him too! I'm sure my Classic Film Guru's will know which man I'm talking about. If not, please, move to the next episode.



THE NEW EXHIBIT (EPISODE 13, SEASON 4)



This episode was fantastic and just wrong! Just so wrong! Who would bury their own spouse in the ground of their basement and apologize because it's a mannequins fault? So strange. Yet, this is what makes it the Twilight Zone, yes?



NIGHTMARE AT 20,000 FEET (EPISODE 3, SEASON 5)



Ok, I am more than sure that all of you have seen this episode at least once in your lifetime. It is, by far, one of the scariest Twilight Zone Episodes. I also believe this is the first Twilight Zone (as far as I know!) that has used the element of surprise! I only felt the surprise factor coming my way due to the overly used surprise factor in current movies today.



LIVING DOLL (EPISODE 6, SEASON 5)



Why is it that the Twilight Zone invades the most normal and particular families?I do admit that this episode was a bit annoying, talking Tina wouldn't let anyone get away with anything. Too bad the daughter's in these episodes don't trust their father's enough to get rid of a doll. Then again, where would the episode stand if that were the case!



NIGHT CALL (EPISODE 9, SEASON 5)



This episode is amazing because it begins with this suspenseful story of a poor old woman who begins getting "disturbing" calls. Then, once the story goes on, you realize that it's actually her deceased husband! It's all really sweet, actually, ha ha.



THE MASKS (EPISODE 25, SEASON 5)



This is one of those iconic episodes from the Twilight Zone. I always remembered my mother telling me about this episode, and when I had finally gotten the chance to see it it was creepy. These masks were the most detailed masks I have ever seen in my entire life. It was just one of those amazing elements that made the Twilight Zone so unique.
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment