Thursday, October 17, 2013

A Friend For The End Of The World

KATLINPhotography has been an vehicle for me to meet amazing people. Katlin, for sure falls into the category of amazing. I met Katlin through the magic of social networking. Her husband answered a model call and assured me that he knew a girl who would be perfect for my blog. He was absolutely right! She is a wonderful combination of smart, caring, sweet, tough as nails and an absolute bad ass. I would definitely invite Katlin into my zombie bunker should the occasion ever arise. Katlin brought along Lucy and Mia. Katlin has been fostering Mia and would love to find a forever home for the sweet baby. I can attest to her adorableness!

"Everyone can do something to help make the world a better place and it all begins with simply caring enough to do something. "-Katlin




WHAT MAKES YOU WANT TO BE A BETTER PERSON? The fact that one day there may be zombies and the more prepared I am, the better chance I will have to save as many humans as possible before they become the undead. This is one of the reasons I hunt, exercise, and won Fear Factor at Universal Studios Orlando, because fear should not be a factor that keeps you from doing good in the world. My faith is also a huge driving force in my life for wanting to be a better person. As a Christian, the greatest commandment that I have to follow is to love God, love others and love the person God made me to be. It's not always easy, but loving people is worth it. I am also called to take care of people who cannot take care of themselves, a calling that has lead me to becoming a hardcore feminist and fighting for equality everywhere that my voice reaches.

Oh and of course I have to mention my doggy. As the proud pet parent of a Pit Bull type dog, I am constantly aware of their misrepresentation in the media and of people's biased attitudes against them. I have heard horror stories of people who have been denied adoptions, had police shoot dogs in their own yards, and had their dogs ripped away from them and killed for no other reason than the fact that they are Pit Bulls. Anyone who has ever met a Pit Bull knows that they are anything but cold blooded killers. Ever since the first day I saw her at the shelter and her deep brown eyes looked into my soul, Lucy has given me a new cause to fight for and a new view on the person I could be. Every day I try my hardest to be the person I see when I look into her eyes. She is as much my hero as I am hers and I love her for every ounce of her 65 pound cuddlebug self.

CHECK OUT THIS SITE FOR MORE REAL INFO ON PIT BULLS HTTP://WWW.1800PETMEDS.COM/EDUCATION/PIT-BULL-FACTS-AND-MYTHS.HTM



TURN-ONS: Nerdy people, the smell of books, honest discussions/debates, kindness.

TURN-OFFS: Sexism, racism, ignorance, narrow mindedness, people who think they know everything.

GUILTY PLEASURES: Musicals, Pinterest, and scaring people (especially my husband) by jumping out from dark corners.



FAVORITE BOOKS: This question is like asking if I have a favorite star in the sky. I am an avid reader and am never without a book close by. But some of my favoritesare Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien, Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling, The Chronicles of Narnia, the Space Trilogy, Till We Have Faces, and The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis, The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flammel by Michael Scott, The Song of the Lioness by Tamora Pierce, Wicked by Gregory McGuire, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, 1984 by George Orwell, A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess, A Year of Biblical Womanhood by Rachel Held Evans, Half the Sky by Nicholas D. Kristof & Sheryl WuDunn, Looking for Alaska by John Green, The Grimm Brothers Fairytales, and so many more.

FAVORITE MOVIES: Lord of the Rings, V for Vendetta, Dr. Strangelove, Harry Potter, basically all superhero movies (especially the X-men movies), Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Beauty and the Beast, Peter Pan, Dumbo, Brave, Pitch Perfect, Equilibrium, Ever After, Clue, Pan's Labyrinth, Zoolander, Sean of the Dead, and Hook,to name a few.

FAVORITE TV SHOW: Doctor Who, Supernatural, The Walking Dead, American Horror Story, New Girl, The IT Crowd, Merlin, Sherlock, How I Met Your Mother, Dollhouse, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, Star Trek (especially the Next Generation).

WHERE WOULD YOU GO IF YOU HAD A TIME MACHINE?: I don't care as long as the time machine was the Tardis and I could go with the Doctor.



PETS: 2 lovely lady kitties, Luna and Zelda, and 2 wonderful dogs, Stanley a black and white Pit Bull/Lab, Lucy a red and white Pit Bull (possibly mixed), and our foster dog Mia, a white and brown Pit Bull who is available for adoption!

FOODS I CRAVE (BESIDES DONUTS): French toast with real maple syrup, hot tea, chocolate covered strawberries, avocados, spinach pie, chili, biscuits and blackberry jam.

PEOPLE I ADMIRE: Rachel Held Evans (a Christian Feminist writer), Father Chris Hannum (an Episcopalian chaplain and personal friend/mentor who has fought for social justice, equality, and the freedom of children from sex trafficking for a many years), Malala Yousafzai (16 year old girl shot by the Taliban who now preaches peace and the importance of education), my amazing and creative husband who fights for equality with me and is my partner in crime in this crazy life, my little sister, my awesome friends, all the people out there who never give up on life, and everyone who cares enough about other people and animals in this world to do something to make other's lives easier and our world a better place.

WEIRDEST JOB: Being a monster at Netherworld

FAVORITE SONG TO SING KARAOKE: "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor

FAVORITE CITY:Anywhere with a good bookstore

IN THE MORNING .: I stay in bed as long as possible and, when I must get up, I make a big cup of hot tea and enjoy some time with my kitties and doggies - especially Lucy.



THIS IS MIA, SHE IS AVAILABLE FOR ADOPTION!!!!!



WHAT IS YOUR MESSAGE TO THE WORLD?: Care. Too many people in our world are completely apathetic towards the suffering of our fellow living beings in this world. Every single day children die of preventable diseases, dogs and cats are killed in shelters because no one wants them, homeless people die from exposure on the streets, young girls die from STDs they have gotten as a result of a life of forced prostitution, depression and mental illness claim the lives of hundreds of thousands of people every year, and on and on. There is so much pain and suffering in the world and I know that no one person can make a difference for everyone who is hurting, but everyone can make a difference for at least one person or animal. My little house is full of rescued animals (from shelters and the streets) - including our foster who is still looking for her forever home - , and one day I hope my (bigger and safe house) will also be full of adopted children. Not everyone can adopt or foster for one reason or another, but most of us have room in our lives and time we can make in our schedule to help someone else. In Atlanta, you can volunteer with Stand Up For Kids an organization that works with homeless children who live on the city streets. Visit www.standupforkids.org for more info, and if you can't volunteer send some clothes or supplies. Also try volunteering at your local animal shelter. Most shelters are always in need of people to walk dogs and socialize with the cats and dogs. You can also donate to food banks, work at a local homeless shelter, adopt a family for Thanksgiving or Christmas (http://www.familiesfirst.org/get-involved/volunteer-/T51-adopt-a-family), or buy a goat or wheelchair or one of many other things for people in impoverished parts of the world (http://www.samaritanspurse.org/our-ministry/donate-online/). You can sponsor a child through compassion.com or worldvision.com and for a little more than $1 a day provide food, clean water, and an education for a child. Or even just buy McDonald's or Subway or other local restaurant or store gift-cards to hand to homeless people when they ask for money for food. You can work to bring awareness to the plight of children being bought and sold for sex. Speak up against racism, sexism, homophobia, breed discrimination, street harassment, bullying and other forms of oppression. As a wise man once said "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good [people] do nothing." (Edmund Burke).

Feel free to contact me and visit my website:

brookhewitt@roseriotphotography.com

www.roseriotphotography.com



Also you can see updated stuff almost everyday on my Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/roseriotphotography
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment