Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Horror Comic Roundup

Horror Comic Roundup Image drawn by Travis Wayne Pursell, colors by Decapitated Dan

Welcome to the HORROR COMIC ROUNDUP! Join Decapitated Dan,Billy Dunleavy, Denise Dutton and friends each week as they review new and old Horror Comics that you will either be dying to read or terrified to check out!




CROSSED BADLANDS #39 (AVATAR PRESS)

DECAPITATED DAN: What!? It's over? NO!!!!!!! These past 3 issues were some of my all time favorites for stories in the Crossed Universe. What I loved about this particular one, was how cinematic it was. It always felt like I was watching a movie, and I highly applaud Ortiz for making this arc so visually stunning. This issue continued on that great tradition of storytelling in the gutters, and I am going to miss it dearly. Spurrier completely through me for a loop on this story too. For some odd reason I thought it might all work out for our trio, but then I was reminded that this takes place in the Crossed world. If you want an arc to start on, check out Badlands #37-#39, it's a great example of Horror Comics on the highest level. - DYING BREATH 5.0 OUT OF 5.0



THE CROW: CURARE #3 (IDW)

DECAPITATED DAN: Over the years there have been numerous Crow titles, and this one is one of the best. Look I get it, it's an uncomfortable subject matter, but you need that to tell a Crow story. It shouldn't always be lovers or family members, because that doesn't progress things forward. O'Barr delivered a very satisfying ending to this mini, that was full of story on this particular issue. It kind of felt like 2 issues in one it was so long. Dodtreated me to another round of his GORE-Geous artwork too. He was so consistent with his cast, and if any issue needed that, it was this one. There were TONS of panels to fill. Like I said at the start of this review, this mini was amazing, and I think it will be remembered as one of the best Crow arcs for a long time. - DYING BREATH 4.5 OUT OF 5.0



DAREDEVIL #32 (MARVEL)

BILLY DUNLEAVY: It's never really good to check out a book you don't really read, that's steeped in a long, windy history. That being said, the classic Marvel monsters appearing on a cover of this issue will get me to bite. I wasn't blown away by the story, because the villain in the beginning was awful. He looks like a cross between the Joker and a really terrible pro-wrestler that was called "Doink the Clown" a few years back. Yeah, like I said, terrible. But after that nonsense was over, there was a couple of cool scenes with Foggy, and then the arrival of the monsters. Cool visuals, but the story didn't impress by a long shot.RATING3/5



GHOST COP #1 (ANTARCTIC PRESS)

DECAPITATED DAN: Whenever someone puts the word ghost in front of another word, all I think of is Ghost Dad, but after reading this issue, it might change to me only thinking Ghost Cop. I had no idea what to expect with this issue but man did I enjoy the hell out of it. I know I don't really love detective stories, but when one is done mixing horror into it, I'll check it out. What I liked about the overall presentation here, was how the cast was introduced. All threefell into the story perfectly, and made them very interesting. The pacing was great, and the concept is intriguing. The artwork by DiBari and Spicer was solid panel after panel. The dream sequences were very creepy and odd. Overall this was a great first issue, it set things up and made me have to come back for more. - DYING BREATH 4.5 OUT OF 5.0



GIANT-SIZE SPIDER-MAN #1 (MARVEL- 1974)

BILLY DUNLEAVY: In this classic tale, we see the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man, as he takes on none other than Dracula himself! The story begins with a typical reason for Peter/Spidey to do something crazy, as Aunt May is sick, and a doctor that has some kind of cure is on a boat, but it might not make it to shore in time. So, Spidey hits up the Fantastic Four, and they loan him an airplane (of sorts), and he flies it out to the boat. Once aboard, mayhem ensues. Dracula bites people, gangsters try to kidnap the doctor, and Spidey is caught in the middle. Good visuals by Ross Andru & Don Heck, and the story has some good humor in it, thanks to Len Wein.RATING 4/5



HAUNTED HORROR #7 (IDW)

BILLY DUNLEAVY: You know, the pre-code stories within the pages of this book, not only are a fantastic read, but you really feel a sense of what the writers and artists were trying to say. The creeped out feeling you'll get from reading stories like "The Bone Man" and "Almost Human" is great! The way that these eerie tales get into your mind will have you traveling back in time, but it wont be a pleasant trip! Kudos to Yoe Books and IDW!RATING5/5



KISS ME SATAN #2 (DARK HORSE)

DECAPITATED DAN: Oh goodness gracious, Juan Ferreyra you artwork gives me the vapors! Even when Juan was working on Colder, I would always say that no panel is going to top that one, then I would turn the page and be proven wrong. This book is GORE-Geous! I mean come one, that is one amazing brain splitting bullet scene! The story can't be overlooked either. Gischler is doing an amazing job of mixing in horror monsters from across the board into this tale. I love the pacing, mostly because of how bad ass the action sequences are. Just plain and simple, you need to be reading this... you really need to be reading this. - DYING BREATH 4.5 OUT OF 5.0



NENETL OF THE FORGOTTEN SPIRITS #1 (GREENTEA PUBLISHING)

DECAPITATED DAN: Oh, now this is a visual treat! I love it when a comic doesn't play within the typical norms of what we assume comics should look like. Laura M ller treated me to a stunningly beautiful comic, that left my eyes melting page after page. The character designs, scenes and colors all work together so well. The story has a great pace to it, fantastic dialogue and a mystery that is very intriguing. But I thought it was too short. I wanted more to be explained in this issue because it had me hooked from the start. The cast is very interesting, and I think anyone who reads this will say the same thing, they need more. So stop stalling, and GIVE US MORE NENETL! - DYING BREATH 4.5 OUT OF 5.0



THE OTHER DEAD #2 (IDW)

DECAPITATED DAN: I'll just throw it out there, if you are going to tease me by putting a Panda eating someone on the cover, you better put it in the story at some point, because that it awesome and funny. This issue picks up right where we left off, and man those ducks are mad. I loved how the brothers got themselves out of that situation only to fall into another with some angry alligators. The artwork is GORE-Geous, with as much emphasis on the gore as possible. The page with the dogs was awesome. The story moves at a great pace, and I a can not wait to see what comes next, but again I just want to say, I don't like using real people in the story. Overall though this is looking like it's going to be one hell of a ride, and I am on board for it. - DYING BREATH 4.5 OUT OF 5.0



PRETTY DEADLY #1 (IMAGE COMICS)

BILLY DUNLEAVY: Admittedly, I'm not the biggest Kelly Sue Deconnick fan, but the artwork of Emma Rios is out of this world! That being said, the story was kind of cool, even though at times a little hard to follow. Westerns, with a splash of horror is a very appealing genre (eg. -Weird Western Tales), and this one didn't disappoint. We follow a blind man and his young traveling companion, but the really good part, was when we get to see a woman, that has vengeance in her eyes, and handy with a pistol! Definitely worth checking out, if for no other reason than the beautiful art of Rios.RATING3.5/5



DECAPITATED DAN: Westerns, my comic book enemy. I don't know why, but when it comes to comics I have the hardest time enjoying a Western themed comic. This issue starts off in a very interesting way with the main characters acting out telling the story of Deathface Ginny. I thought that it was very clever to not just have it on a recap page, or do it through two people talking to each other. That got me interested, so it was up to the rest of the story to get me hooked, and it did. I love the larger then life tale, and how things played out in this issue. I think it looks great and I can not wait for issue #2. - DYING BREATH 4.0 OUT OF 5.0



WHO NEEDS THE MOON #2 (TODD MCCULLOUGH/DIGITAL)

DECAPITATED DAN: No... seriously no, stop reading this right now, and just go read this book. Then you can come back and understand why I am about to turn into waterfall of high praise for this book. I have to start with the GORE-Geous artwork. This book reminds me of some of the best European books I have ever seen: Koma, Whispers in the Walls, Daffodil, and Sky Doll. I think that Todd's style stands toe to toe with the artists on those books. It's just not a style you see in American Comics. The highlight in the artwork, and I know it's silly to point out unless youhave seen it, are the smells. It plays with the werewolf concept on a different level, and it shines. With how great the artwork is the story has a lot to keep up with here, and it does a damn fine job of doing so. The concept is great, and everything is just building up to something amazing. Praise is all I have for this book, and it will probably continue on and on for each issue. You are really doing yourself a disservice by not reading Who Need the Moon. - DYING BREATH 5.0 OUT OF 5.0
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment