Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Grind Quest: Objectives!

Firstly, a top 10 of my favorite games:



* The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time - Action Adventure. Play as Link and complete dungeons and fight bosses to save the princess Zelda.


* Tales of Symphonia - JRPG. Play as Lloyd Irving to help his friends save the world, and one parallel to their own.

* Valkyria Chronicles - Tactical RPG. Play as Welkin Gunther, the leader of squad 7, a militia group protecting its country from invaders.

* Kingdom Hearts - Action RPG. Play as Sora the key bearer to save worlds from the Heartless and save your best friends.

* The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword - Action Adventure. Play as the first Link to journey to ancient Hyrule and stop Demise from destroying it.

* Ys Ark of Napishtim - J Action RPG. Play as Adol the Red and save the isles of Canaan and the world.

* League of Legends - MOBA. Play as champions in the world of Runeterra to fight battles for the League of Legends.

* World of Warcraft - MMORPG. Create your own character and explore the world of Azeroth doing quests, dungeons, raids, pvp, and much more.

* Darksiders - Action Adventure Hack and Slash. Play as War, a horseman of the apocalypse, to regain his honor and find out who and how he was framed for bringing about the doom of mankind too early.

* Ys Origin - J Action RPG. Play as Yunica, Hugo, or Toal and fight through a demonic tower fighting bosses along the way to stop Dalles from gaining power to take over the world.



The biggest similarity I noticed when making this list was that all but one are premade characters. The only one with a character of my own would be World of Warcraft. And I've found that I do like playing characters that have a backstory already. Some like Link don't have much of a backstory but I like stories enough to want to know what happens to these characters. These games almost feel like books that I get to play out and since I love to read adventure fantasy novels these kinds of games bring me the most joy.



Also these games are all fantasy games. The one that comes closest to being realistic would be Valkyria Chronicles because of its World War II vibe. It was a very interesting game because of its turn based gun combat; it was a 3rd person shooter with a bigger emphasis on tactics.



Also all of these games include getting new weapons and upgrades. I really enjoy the feeling of becoming stronger and changing the way the game plays and how I think about completing puzzles with my new items. Most of these games also allow me to use my new items in older areas that I thought were completed. I love the feeling of retracing my adventure and finding something new back there that I missed before.



All of these games except Zelda also allow you to level up. I like leveling up because it's a nice incentive to keep fighting and it helps me keep track of how well I'm doing. If the monsters are killing me easily then I've got to go back and level up, if I'm destroying them then I'm over leveled and can take it easy for a while.



Most of them are also offline single player except for League of Legends and World of Warcraft. Online games always interest me at first but after a while if I don't have any friends playing with me I lose interest quickly. Offline games can keep me occupied for a long time because of the fact that the story is based around me and I'm not some adventurer that is doing a quest that 1,000,000 other people have already done.



I think I like these games the most because they all spark my imagination and have the thrill of saving the world from what seemed like a much stronger foe at the beginning but I manage to overcome in the end.
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment