Saturday, October 19, 2013

Hellsing the animated series and more

"I know what you're thinking: "How did all this come about?" Well, it all started on a midnight stroll through the woods. The air was clear, the moon was full. I was dying to sink my teeth into something. Get it? Because I'm a vampire. You know a real fucking vampire! Muwahahahaha .it's funny." --Alucard from Hellsing Abridged.



So, if you couldn't figure it out from the introduction; tonight we are going to be discussing one of my top animes Hellsing: Original, Ultimate, manga, and abridged. Hellsing first started back in 1997 and continued on until 2009. There are 10 volumes to the manga, which are still in print and stock in a barnes and nobles near you. I have three volumes; 1, 3, and 10. There was also side stories and a prequel featuring Walter C. Dornez, who was the butler. SPOILERS! The butler did it. The entire plot is about Alucard (a.k.a. Dracula, before he worked for the Hellsing organization) fighting Nazis. Along the way we get to know his "apprentice" or Seras Victoria (a.k.a. Police Girl), Walter C. Dornez the retired vampire hunter (also the butler), and Integra Wingates Hellsing (bitch!) master of Alucard. I won't forget the silly french mercenaries, The wild Geese. They are hired after the 100 guards of Hellsing manner are turned into ghouls after a particular nasty raid done by the Valentine brothers. The captain and police girl have a thing, before he .well that's complicated, you gotta watch, episode 8 of Ultimate or read volume 8. See the original release of Hellsing was way before the manga series had finished. They were only going off about 3 books around this time. But Ultimate waited until the entire series was out and then the people that did the original remade Hellsing to match the manga. Which was way better. Trust me. In Ultimate there is better dialogue, animation, still got the great voice actors from before; however there are only 8 episodes in English so far. Which means there are episodes 9 and 10 left. That is not much. Though you can watch Hellsing: original and Hellsing: Ultimate all online either in English dub or sub. Only 2 episodes are left undone in English, so you should be able to finish them quickly. Ultimate only has 10 episodes, each one is based off one volume, so the shows are an hour+. Where as original is 13 episodes that are only 24 minutes long. I personally like hearing the anime in original Japanese, since they got some really great actors for the series. So, I suggest watching the English sub. Crispin Freeman does the voice of Alucard in both the original and Ultimate. He does a fine job. He's got a light accent so we are led to believe that Alucard's home land accent wears out over time, especially since he lives in England at this point, so he might be adding a new accent. Really, Crispin Freeman does excellent as this character.




Now the abridged series only has 3 episodes so far. Takahata only does one episode each Halloween; this is why I saw it fit to do this for an Oktober post. I think you can guess how long he's been doing the abridged if it only comes out once a year. Anyway, this series is based off the Ultimate series. Takahata (also voice napa in dbz abridged) should be posting the new one soon. Hopefully. I almost have this abridged series memorized. I think people under appreciate abridged series, since they are taking someone else material and art to do something comedic with. However, if you know what goes into making an abridged series I think people might appreciate it more. They take just as much effort and time, plus money, to make as some animes, cartoons, or scripts do. Yes, they have to script, edit, re-voice, and then put back all together to get the final product as they want. It is hard work and I respect them for their hard work, also amazing voice talent. I think a lot of voice actors from abridge work should actually do that for their careers. Do cartoons or cgi movies. Or heck even live action I think they could do.



I give the Hellsing franchise a 8 out of 10. They are marked down because of taking so long on the last two episodes. One point for each. I suggest if you are an anime fan, you should give this one a shot. Also it rejuvenated my love for vampires after the whole Twitilght (no, you read that right) fiasco. Seriously guys Twitlight is horrible. First they have their mythos wrong. Edward and his kind are NOT vampires they are a type of fae. Sidhe to be more specific; ones that do sparkle and drink blood. Second it advocates abusive relationships. Third a girl that is basically a blank slate, depressed for no reason, and likes to act like a stay at home mom. But I am not supposed to be talking about Twitlight. It is just hard not too since I hate it so much! And talking about vampires usually brings it up, either in comments or in thought. Anyway that should be the end of my rant.



I hope you take my suggestion and give this show a watch. That is about all I got for you. Thank you so much for reading and I hope to see comments. Toodles!



Openly yours,



DanniDarkness.



P.S.



I just got the original Wolfman, the Mummy, and the Invisible man today. I look forward to watching them. Now all I need is the Creature from the black lagoon, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and Frankenstein series to complete the silver monster movies.
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment