Thursday, August 29, 2013

Confession: I'm a YA Sci-Fi Addict

Let's just dwell on the pure fact that I could binge read sci-fi young adult novels for the rest of my earthly days and consider that a mighty fine success. Thankfully, I have overcome my shame of loving these often 15 year old targeted books at my more seasoned college graduate age.This is my mini-list of favorites. Voted to leave out Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Twilight and Mortal Instruments due to their current popularity. Although, I do have a special place in my heart for all those series and highly recommend you check them out if you haven't already.



1. The Selection (series): America Singer finds herself thrown into a futureist dating "reality show" setting with 35 other girls. The winner is provided the opportunity to escape the caste limited life laid out for them since birth. One of the most creative future society books I've dived into, filled with dynamic plot, relateable to our version of dating tv shows.


- Book quote: ". . .true love is usually the most inconvenient kind."



2. Delirium (trilogy):Love is viewed as a dangerous disease in this alternative present society. Once citizens reach a certain age, they are forever cured of being able to "love" and can happily join a totalitarian brainwashed civilization. I enjoyed the depth of describing love from a purely medical sickness point of view. Lots of teen relationship turmoil thrown in within every page.

-Book quote: "Love: a single word, a wispy thing, a word no bigger or longer than an edge. That's what it is: an edge; a razor. It draws up through the center of your life, cutting everything in two. Before and after. The rest of the world falls away on either side."



3. Divergent (trilogy with lots of half books):Set in dystopian Chicago, Beatrice (Tris) lives in a divided faction society where at 16 you select the faction to move into that you will forever devote the rest of your days, leaving behind your family and all you've ever known. Some of the major themes are friendship, self discovery, trust, love and defining truth. Definite style similar to Hunger Games, but a more likeable female lead.

Book quote: "Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it."



4.Shatter Me (trilogy): This gem of a novel ploppedinto my lap by a happy circumstance in University, when my roommate's sorority had a pile of them left at their house to trial read. I LOVE THIS BOOK. So stinkin unique in story line and literal style. Juliette's physical touch harms those around her, so she gets locked up and told she is a monster for years. She discovers her inner power and must chose to be a weapon or be a warrior. Nice love triangle and really awesome plot twist throughout the series.

-Book quote: "I spent my life folded between the pages of books.

In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction."



5. Uglies (4 book series): Tally is a 16 year old in a world that only values youth and beauty, having all citizens undergo a surgery that makes them forever gorgeous and youthful. One of my favorite aspects of this book was the dissection of what our modern day world values viewed from the lenses of future consequences. I enjoyed how each book gave you an in depth view from the inside of each different member type in their world. Not the most interesting plot or characters, but great read for high school readers or adults who are down with simpler stylistics and narration.

-Book quote: "Perhaps the logical conclusion of everyone looking the same is everyone thinking the same."
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment