Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Kelly Cole

The August 2013 SanDiegoRadio Spotlight features KPRI's KELLY COLE.

Kelly, thanks for taking your time for the SanDiegoRadio Spotlight!




Joe Nelson:What is your current position/title? Kelly Cole: I am the Host of Lites-Out on 102.1 KPRI Sunday evenings at 7.It features 2 hours of Contemporary Jazz, Soulful Vocals, Blues and Fusion.



JN: What are your favorite parts of the job?KC: I love it all but it really feels good to share all these amazing artists that have such great music and talents and are not being shared on traditional radio any more.



JN: Who are your all time favorite musical artists? KC: That is pretty impossible to say because there are so many but from my youth I was exposed to Hoytt Axton and Johnny Cash and they will always be in my heart.James Taylor, Steely Dan, Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd,Tom Petty, Areosmith, Ten Years After, Foghat and Bad Co, got me through High School.Then I spent a year andof weekends spinning 45s at KAMP El Centro and feel in love with the hits of the 60s, 70s and 80s.Then I was lucky enough to get a gig with Bob O'Connor and Art Good when Lites-Out was getting started and found Fusion and Jazz.Grover, Jeff Lorber Fusion, Dave Grusin, Lee Ritenour, Special EFX,George Benson, Bobby Caldwell, Al Jarreau, Michael Franks, David Sanborn, Bob James, Jean Luc-Ponty, Phil Upchurch, Peter White, Dave Koz, Richard Elliot, Rick Braun .I spent hours as a board op playing their music on LP, reading their album covers and listening to Art tell his stories.I was also excited by Bonnie Raitt,Basia, Sade, Annie Lennox, Nancy Wilson, Holly Cole, Diana Krall, Mindi Abair, Keiko Matsui and all the empowered ladies.I am sorry but I just can't name a few, they all made me feel something special.



JN: And your current favorite?KC: Right now I am digging Mayer Hawthorne, The Gaddabouts, Spencer Day, the Summer Horns, Keiko Matsui, Jake Shimabukuro, and on top right now has to be Trombone Shorty and Booker T.



JN: Tell me about your personal side. KC: I am married to Big Mike who also is my producer, we have three kids, Nicole, Nikki and Kris.4 Grandmonsters Stevie, Sammy, Charlotte and Kylie.



JN: What are your favorite restaurants? KC: PF Changs, Anthony's, Phil's, La Palapa Lakeside, Valley View Buffet and The Kona Kai.



JN: What are your movie interests? KC: Not really a big movie person, I would rather see live music, anywhere any time.



JN: Do you have any hobbies? KC: Love to garden and I do some canning, swim, walk and live music.



JN: What are your favorite parts of the city? KC: OB/Sunset Cliffs, Shelter Island, Julian, Campo and Old Mission Dam.



JN: Is there anything else you'd like to share? KC: I am a third generation native San Diegan.
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment