Monday, October 21, 2013

Mondays With Megan-Dungeons & Dragons and What Are You Reading 10/21/13

It's Monday! The weather is brisk (LOVE), my freezer is stocked with homemade soups, and I am feeling motivated! For the past couple of months I have been working on a new project here at work and I am finally feeling confident and excited enough to brag a little. With the help of one very eager and knowledgeable student, I now have a Dungeons & Dragons(R) club at the library. We have had a few meetings now and all of my new regulars have created their characters, which, by the way, takes forever. Meanwhile, I have been frantically trying to prepare my self to run a game, or Dungeon Master. Did you know that there is a DUNGEON MASTER FOR DUMMIES? There is. I have read it. A documentary? It's called . Seen it! I have watched countless YouTube videos, scoured the internet for blogs and articles, and consulted with a couple of friends for advice. I bought my own set of manuals and have added a set of dice to my list of things to buy. I am all in! While D&D and I are about the same age, this epic role-playing game wasn't even on my radar until a few years ago when I read INTO THE WILD NERD YONDER by Julie Halpern. In the book the main character is looking for a new group of friends and she finds acceptance with a group of gamers. After reading it was inspired to gather a couple of friends and see what the fuss was all about. I made a character, had a few adventures, and that was the end of it..until now. Last Friday I was finally called up to lead a campaign. I was not ready. I made some mistakes. The kids had an AWESOME time. I learned that the rules are important, but not everything and the players are very forgiving. I will eventually get the hang of things. I am even confident that I will eventually be a really good DM. In the meantime, I am just going to relax, have fun, and let the roll of the dice guide me. That's the good news. The not so good news is that my obsession with D&D seems to have cut into my reading time



IT'S MONDAY! WHAT ARE YOU READING?




hosted by and



FINISHED:



MRS. LINCOLN'S DRESSMAKER by Jennifer Chiaverini was a book club choice. I thought it was interesting glimpse into the lives of both Mary Todd Lincoln and Elizabeth Keckler. It was not a page-turner, but I enjoyed it and we had quite the lively discussion. I also finished listening to THE DREAM THIEVES by Maggie Stiefater, the second book in the Raven Boys Cycle. I loved it! While Gansey still holds the group together, Ronan, and a new character called the Gray Man steal the show in this book. And now the long wait for book 3 begins



CURRENT AUDIO:



I am almost finished with LIFE, LOVE AND ELEPHANTS by Daphne Sheldrick. I also started PTOLEMY'S GATE by Jonathan Stroud. This has not been my favorite series, but I do enjoy the reader of the audio. I am also on a mission to wrap up series.



CURRENTLY READING:



Can you believe that I haven't finished HOUSE OF HADES yet? I am a bit surprised myself. It's so good and I am savoring it in small bits. I also started THE IRON TRAITOR by Julie Kagawa and BORN OF ILLUSION by Teri Brown.



ABANDONED FOR NOW:



MONSTERS by Ilsa Bick is just not working for me right now. I will try again later.



UP NEXT:



I am not sure what I am going to do when I get home from work tomorrow and tear open my copy of ALLEGIANT. Will I set Percy and gang aside? Will I try to juggle both? Also, I really need to get cracking on my book club book. We are reading Westerns and I picked THE SISTERS BROTHERS by Patrick de Witt. So many books so little time (and too many awesome tv shows).



Happy Reading!



Megan
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment