Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Weekly Roundup (9/30): New Girl comes roaring back; Breaking Bad gets ready to pack up; The Bridge reminds us why we were so excited

Dear Walter White,



The long-awaited return of the Weekly Roundup.I know, some of you were wondering if it would ever come back.Counting down the days, hours, minutes, the usual.Well have no fear.I was thoroughly intimidated when I realized just how many new episodes hit the airwaves this week but I'm determined to keep up a better weekly cadence this time around.To help with that goal, I've decided to focus on dramas.Comedies like New Girl and How I Met Your Mother will routinely make it on here but shows like Modern Family and The Big Bang Theory will be phased out for now.




BOARDWALK EMPIRE, "Acres of Diamonds



* Boardwalk is the definition of a long-form television.You could argue that this show would do better under the Netflix model of distribution.Boardwalk is like a night of tapas.Each individual dish may have its own highlights and strengths but ultimately falls flat as unsatisfying.When consumed in larger groups though, the experience can be transcendent.Given this finding, I have decided to watch Boardwalk in chunks and plan to have my review for the first 3-4 episodes next week



BREAKING BAD, "Granite State"



* Some have called this a "moving the chess pieces" episode to set up for the epic finale but I thought this episode had plenty of action

* Good to know AARON PAUL has a future at the circus after all this is over

* ANDREA'S murder was among the most shocking moments in show history for me.I really didn't think they would go there but having LANDRY pop EPIC in the back of the head was the straw that broke the camel's back.TODD must go down

* Do I side with WALTER WHITE yet?Has he turned the corner back into a good guy?The Mr. Chips to Scarface line has been used far too often to describe WALTER WHITE'S journey during this show.Most assumed that he would end the series as TONY MONTANA ended Scarface: in a blaze of glory with bullets flying.Instead, it looks like Gilligan and Co. have decided to turn him good guy to eviscerate TODD and his sentimental uncle.JESSE'S words keep ringing in my head though: "whatever you think will happen, the exact opposite will end up happening."I have never been one for predictions with TV so I'm just going to buckle up and enjoy the ride.See you all on the other side



DEXTER, "Remember the Monsters?"



* Almost up to date on Suits.Next stop on this train will be watching the last 3 episodes of Dexter.From what I've heard, I didn't miss much...



HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER, "The Locket", "Coming Back"



* The mom just about lived up to expectations.Sure we don't know her name yet (I have a feeling we won't for a while) but Cristin Milioti was as likeable as we fans have been hoping for the last nine years

* This final season could go without a single joke and I would still be happy with it.HIMYM has given me lots of laughs over the years (mostly during season 1 - 5).This season is about character moments.All of those loose ends that were left behind over the years need to come together into a nicely tied bow.Thankfully the time bending narrative style that made the show famous also allows us to have scenes like the last one in "Coming Back" where we see Ted and the mother together without spoiling the purity of the final scene being their meeting.Here's to one final ride on this train



NEW GIRL, "Nerd"



* The return of DAISY!

* ANGELA from The Office! Special appearances all around

* "Press the button!" Got me the second time too.

* So if his office is a 2/3's replica of Don Draper's office, is Schmidt a 2/3's replica of Don Draper too?

* Oh DAISY, no one messes with Winston, especially if you're a puzzle

* WINSTON speaks in bullet points. I knew there was hope for him

* A welcomed shift from the puzzling (pun intended) season opener from last week.NICK as the caring / overbearing boyfriend makes perfect sense for his character and could make for some very entertaining TV.Kudos to the writers for finally giving WINSTON some semblance of a storyline



THE BRIDGE, "All About Eva"



* Many critics have called this an effective pivot for the series.and were singing its praises from rooftops but I won't go quite so far."All About Eva" was refreshing and a reminder of why I wrote an entire entry on this show.That said, it didn't undo all the bad from the previous 5-6 episodes.I'm hope that The Bridge can return to consistent form adjusting to life after David Tate.Let's hope that the season finale has an effective cliffhanger to make us look forward to season 2



That's all for now.



Sayonara,



LifetimePhilosopher
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment