Thursday, January 30, 2014

Day 29: Difficult Shows to Start

Have you ever wanted to what a show that you've heard about, only to find it difficult to get into? You can't start at current/later seasons, and starting from the beginning sometimes means watching episodes over a decade old. Not all of these shows age well and many of its fans love them due to loyalty or nostalgia goggles.



I've run into this issue with multiple shows, so I'm going to do my best to explain when certain shows should hook you. At the very least, I'll explain when they hooked me.




BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER



Somewhere in here, you'll get it.



This is a show I tried several times to get into, but the general campy-ness of the first several seasons really hindered that. Eventually I pushed through them because A) I've heard a lot of interesting things about the later seasons, B) the comics look very interesting and C) Nathan Fillion is in the later seasons.



So I toughed it out and am it is now one of my very favorite shows.



It wasn't until about the middle of Season 3 that I actually began to really, really enjoy the show. I don't have a specific episode, but, eventually, the character growth started to show and the relationships grew on me. The world had an interesting and sometimes unique background, and the future was relatively unpredictable. Also, there were enough supporting cast members that were interesting, and the show was pulling on its history at this time in a way I very much appreciate. It's continued to do that since then.



So. GET THROUGH SEASON 3 AND YOU'LL BE HOOKED.



ANGEL



This show was another reason I wanted to get through Buffy. They are related series and I knew I couldn't start this until I knew the background. Even so, it took an entire season of Angel for me to get interested, and another full season for the show to shift up its gears. Now it is very unpredictable and the character relationships are very unique/unusual in their paths.



GET TO SEASON 3. Not sure why it takes Whedon so long, but it's worth it in the end (well, still haven't gotten to the last season, but I'm working on it).



FIREFLY



This one is only on here because I've heard a lot of people are a bit apprehensive about starting this series.



IT SHOULD ONLY TAKE THE FIRST EPISODE TO GET INTERESTED, AND THE SECOND EPISODE TO GET HOOKED. These characters are amazing and constantly get better.



Even if you're afraid of the short series, don't be. It may be bittersweet, but it is worth it!



LOST



This complete set looks AWESOME!



This was a hugely popular show while it was running. Now that it's all said and done, a lot of folks see how long it is and have heard a lot of negativity about the finale and are put off.



It is a long show, but the twists and turns really are worth it. AFTER THE 3RD EPISODE, YOU SHOULD BE PRETTY HOOKED ON THE STRANGE, STRANGE DYNAMIC BETWEEN CHARACTERS, OF WHICH THE ISLAND IS A MAJOR PLAYER. Even when some of the seasons get really out there, the suspense is kept at a soap-opera level. And this soap-opera isn't just for your

grandmother (disclaimer: as far as I know, my grandmother doesn't watch soap operas, but I'm not quite sure who else would).



Warning: the ending of the series is lousy. Know that going in, but it really isn't a factor until the very last episode. I'm happy having taken the journey, even if I am a bit bitter about how it "wrapped up."



BIG BANG THEORY



This show is generally pretty easy to get into, but I see a lot of backlash from the Nerd-community due to its portrayal of Nerds as socially incapable. My suggestion is to actually watch the show from the beginning -- invariably, no one who I've spoken with that dislikes the show has ever actually attempted to watch it. This seems both humorous and sad to me, but it has happened on several occasions. IT ONLY TOOK ME THE FIRST EPISODE, BUT I COULD SEE NEEDING A FOLLOW UP WITH THE SECOND TO GET SOME MORE EXPOSURE.



Yes, the characters are given very negative attributes along with their Nerd-like qualities. This is no different from any show that uses character archetypes and gives them negative qualities for comedic effect. Nerds just have some stigmas that still sting, apparently, and are on the defensive about the character portrayal on the show. Get over it -- you're probably not a genius AND a nerd anyways, so they're not reflecting you. And, if you've seen it since the beginning, the characters make many strong points for the Nerd community.



Also, Wil Wheaton guest stars as Wil Wheaton several times in the series.



Disclaimer: I'm not enjoying recent seasons quite as much, but at least the first few seasons are gold, and should only take a single episode to get into.



TRIGUN



This is an anime. If you do not like anime, you will not like Trigun.



IF YOU LIKE ANIME, IT WILL ONLY TAKE YOU ABOUT THREE EPISODES TO GET INTO THIS SHOW. At first, the main character, Vash the Stampede, is just too idiotic to follow. This is quickly explained and you see glimpses of the real character underneath, albeit briefly. From there on, you're happy to put up with his advanced idiocy to get the next glimpse of the man they call the Human Typhoon.



Also, you'll eventually meet Wolfwood, which should be enough inspiration to keep on keeping on.



Wolfwood's waiting.



SUPERNATURAL



THIS IS ANOTHER SHOW THAT SHOULD TAKE YOU ABOUT THREE EPISODES TO GET HOOKED. Seeing anything farther in will probably damage your opinion early -- this is a show that definitely needs the supporting character backgrounds/stories to make any kind of impact or sense. It starts off as a pair of brothers hunting monsters while trying to find their father. The monsters are interesting and the family connections are downright bizarre. Later seasons evolve into plenty of crazy scenarios, but the family relationship always remains a focal point.



Later seasons have tapered off a bit, but they do, eventually, add at least one episode a season with Felicia Day, so it's all good.That's all for now. There were a few more I wanted to touch upon, but they've slipped my mind. I'll do a follow up post when I remember!
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment