Monday, January 27, 2014

Weekend Box Office: I, Frankenstein Was A Huge Flop

I, Frankenstein flopped at the box office this weekend, earning just $8.3 million domestically, despite being the only new release. You probably assumed that was going to happen given that you're smart enough to read these words, but did you know that it cost $65 million to make? $65 MILLION. Can you imagine having $65 million and spending it on this? That more than 10 people all agreed that this movie was a good idea is as baffling to me as the third reich.



points out that movies like I,Frankenstein and Legend of Hercules seem more designed for foreign audiences anyway, so we don't know until they open in more locations whether they're actually as big of failures as they seem to be right now. Buta sexy monster? I don't know who that appeals to. Foreigners eat up a lot of our scraps, but usually they prefer the ones with aging stars or gladiators in them.




The film played 60% 3D, 18% ($1.5m)in IMAX, 62% male and 60% over 25 years old.



Despite it not screening for critics, I,Frankenstein did manage to rack up a grand total of two positive reviews on to keep it from earning a full Bucky Larson. Small victory.



Elsewhere, Ride Along, which only cost $25 million to make, has now earned $75.4 million, which has left virtually every box office pundit predicting a sequel. It sounds like a lock to me as well. I'm pretty sure the script for the first one was just "Ice Cube Kevin Hart Car" written on a cocktail napkin, so there aren't really any creative obstacles for part two.



Also, I know it's already well established that Kevin Hart is a short man, but I still find this to be a visual wonder.



It's kind of like how you can know that Andre the Giant was big, but seeing that picture of him holding a Pepsi can is still incredible. I'd like to see a whole series of Kevin Hart posing with normal-sized objects.



[via ]



Next week brings us Jason Reitman's , the awards movie awards season forgot, and , a movie that looks like a group of 12-year-old girls tried to write Swingers.
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment