Wednesday, January 29, 2014

MINALDI LEGACY by COURTNEY COLE Excerpt

We are extremely excited to be able to share an excerpt from Courtney Cole's new book THE MINALDI LEGACY! THE MINALDI LEGACY is a dark, contemporary romance and will be released on February 6th, 2014!!!



THE MINALDI LEGACY SYNOPSIS:


"I'm a monster, Eva. There's no saving a monster. But I love that you want to try." Luca Minaldi is rich, powerful and mesmerizing. He's also a reclusive enigma. He lives in Malta, a fairy-tale place filled with sunshine and sea, beauty and secrets. And Luca's darkest of secrets is the best-kept of them all. Eva Talbot moves to Malta to finish her doctoral dissertation in Psychiatry. When she meets Luca, there is a very real and instant attraction that she has never felt before. But even still, she senses the darkness that lives within him. Eva is hired to care for Luca's mother, a woman who suffers from dementia. It is Luca, however, that Eva will eventually risk everything to saveas the legacy that plagues him continues. As the darkness swirls ever more tightly around her, Eva realizes that no matter how hard she tries, she might not be able to save Luca without losing herself. Eva and Luca are thrust into a world where their love is tested and darkness reigns. Amid chaos and treachery, love and hate, Luca and Eva learn one important thing. Love is dangerous. But it also might be the one thing that can save them all. ******** The Minaldi Legacy consists of two parts, part one: Of Blood and Bone and part two: Of Darkness and Demons. It contains adult themes and content.

EXCERPT:

PROLOGUE Luca is gone. I know it before I open my eyes. The weight of his body next to me is absent, the scent of him gone from the air. I sigh, reluctant to begin this day because I know what it holds for me. I know that if Luca is truly gone, I will spend every hour frantically searching for him. Gazing around, I find my large suite empty. Everything is neat and tidy and exactly in place. Each lavish piece of furniture is polished with lemon oil, each extravagant painting on the wall carefully dusted. Each expensive vase, each crystal lamp, each woven rug is perfectly aligned and exactly how I left it. Something is different, though, somehow changed in this room that I fell asleep in last night. My sleepy eyes do another quick sweep, and this time I notice the balcony doors standing wide open while the bright morning sun streams onto the mahogany floor and the white sheer curtains on either side flutter in the sea breeze. This is the difference and it slams into me like a concrete wall. I didn't fall asleep with those doors open. I would never do that now, not since I know what dangers lurk in the world, the darkness that can find me. Immediately after I notice this inconsistency, I also see that across the room, my bedroom door is tightly closed and the bolt is still slid firmly in place. Just as I left it last night. My heart stutters as I realize what this means. While I slept, Luca must have climbed from my balcony ledge to escape. But the drop is well over thirty feet and there are sharp rocks at the base of the house. There are gardens directly behind, but beyond that, there is a cliff with a hundred foot drop to the sea below. I leap naked from bed and rush to the balcony's edge. My bare breasts press against the cold railing as I peer down at both the gardens and what I can see of the pristine sand beyond that. Luca is not lying broken and bleeding there, so I try to still my racing heart. I search the beaches and craggy landscape on both sides of my periphery and I still do not see him. He somehow survived the fall. A hundred different things run through my mind, but the one that stands out in the forefront is the image, the possibility, that he managed to drag himself, broken and bleeding, to a different location, somewhere where he is even now waiting for me to help him. Because I promised. I promised him that I would help him, that I would keep him from the darkness that plagues him, that I would heal him. That I would save him. I swallow hard and as I do, I realize that my throat is tender from Luca's hands last night. I know that if I look into a mirror, there will be a bruise in the perfect formation of his long fingers around my neck. As I softly touch it, I remember his face from the night before. It was shadowed in the moonlight and like always, he was beautiful. Luca is handsome in a very classic and beautiful way, dark hair and cut cheekbones. His bangs are long and almost hide his magnificent dark eyes until he shakes his hair away. And when he does, the sadness that dwells there is apparent to anyone who knows him. But last night, I didn't need to look into his eyes to see that his darkness had returned. I knew it from the moment he stepped into my room. I can always see it. It changes everything about him, even the way he walks and moves. The way he stands. The way he speaks. The way he feels. He is an entirely different person when the darkness comes. These are the moments that he dreads with every breath when he is himself; the moments when he is no longer Luca. In these moments, he is filled with thoughts that are no longer his own. He cannot help it, he cannot control it, he cannot stop it. But I promised him that I would. And I have failed him. I scramble to my wardrobe and pull on clothing, choosing a shirt with a collar, hoping to somewhat hide the bruise on my neck. The only other people here at Chessarae are servants, except for Luca's mother in her lonely wing. But she is locked in so she never comes into the main part of the house. No one will see me but the staff. And they are used to seeing strange things. I rush through the house, through the extravagant corridors and over the marble floors, the rich and polished surroundings that I would never have dreamed I would find myself in. I don't notice it now though. It has faded into an insignificant corner of my mind. All that matters now is Luca. I make my way out the back of the house, through the gardens, through the English maze that is perfectly manicured and challenging to maneuver. I manage it with ease, however. I memorized its twists and turns on a happier day. The weather is stormy today and the normally cheerful and bright Maltese sky is gray and thunderous. I can feel the electricity in the air, snapping the ends of my long hair with static. This day looks as foreboding as I feel, which I hope is not a sign. I search through the maze. I search the beaches as my feet sink into the cool sand. I search the gardens with their exotic and sweet-smelling blooms and then I search the garage. His car, a shiny black Jaguar, is still in its slot and its hood is cool to the touch. Luca has not driven it today. I search the front lawns and the back. And just when I begin to panic, to fear that he has not returned to Chessarae after all, I search the stables. As I walk through the heavy wooden doors, the smells of the horses and the hay and the saddle-soap and leather assail my nose and I breathe them in. I've always loved this place. It is peaceful here. And I suddenly know, because I can feel it, that Luca is here. I walk quietly down the main corridor, staring into each stall as I pass. And finally, finally, when I come to the very last stall on the left, Luca is there and my breath hitches in my chest, freezing on my lips. Luca is slumped on the ground, in the corner, his expression desolate. He is beautiful even here, even in this condition, and I cannot help but stare down at him as tears fill my eyes. He is dirty and his clothing is torn. There are smears of blood on his shirt, dried now to a rusty dark brown. I swallow hard, trying not to imagine where the blood has come from. Luca's face is tortured as he stares up at me, his head in his hands. There is blood on his fingers. "It happened again." His words are low and husky and rough, yet elegant at the same time. He is always refined, always perfect, always Luca. His self-loathe is apparent and it breaks my heart. I nod mutely because there are no words for this moment. I bend to help him to his feet. At 6'3", he towers above me. He is slender and strong and masculine. He is lithe and powerful, beautiful and graceful. And sometimes, on his very darkest days, he is a depraved killer. But I have gotten ahead of myself. I should begin at the beginning. If I don't, you will never understand.



ABOUT COURTNEY COLE: Courtney Cole is a novelist who would eat mythology for breakfast if she could. She has a degree in Business, but has since discovered that corporate America is not nearly as fun to live in as fictional worlds. She loves chocolate and roller coasters and hates waiting and rude people. Courtney lives in quiet suburbia, close to Lake Michigan, with her real-life Prince Charming, her ornery kids (there is a small chance that they get their orneriness from their mother) and a small domestic zoo.

Author Goodreads:

The Minaldi Legacy Goodreads: Amazon author page:
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment