Sunday, January 5, 2014

My Other Hobby

Now that we have that diet rule out of the way, let's talk cookies. I pretty much have three hobbies:quilting, baking, and reading.I have always loved to bake.Always.The Christmas I turned twelve my parents gifted me with this cookbook, which I still have. I can still remember opening the cookbook and looking forward to the great adventure that it would take me on.I also remember the first cookies I made . . . They were delicious, and included peanut butter, so I gave them an unheralded seven star rating.I don't know what my rating scale was, but seven must have been goooood.Plus, they were Teen Winners.When you're a dorky twelve year old bookworm, anything listed under Teen Winners was worth trying. When my children were young, I baked cookies and snack cakes a lot, and they always disappeared quickly.Now I bake when the right recipe comes along and I give half to our neighbor, Buzzy.Well, the right recipe came along this morning via The Pioneer Woman.Oh. My. Goodness.Her recipe for Brown Sugar Oatmeal Cookies is the best. Traditionally, I will not eat oatmeal cookies because every recipe has my kryptonite:raisins.(Ewwwwww!)I do not enjoy raisins.And when I say I do not enjoy raisins, that means I will eat around them and pick them out of salads like a little kid. The Pioneer Woman's recipe is a buttery concoction of brown sugar goodness with no raisins. Here they are, right out of the oven.You'll have to trust me when I tell you that these are the best oatmeal cookies I've ever made. Cookie Monster said it best:"Today I will live in the moment.Unless it's unpleasant in which case I will eat a cookie."Darned good rule if you ask me.
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment