Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Tuesday: Vote Vote Vote!!!

Hey everyone! Seems like a very average week. I don't know if anyone else is feeling that. No noteworthy news... We're in a voting week for a contest... but wait... what's that? We're currently in the semi-final vote for COTY!!! This is like the second most important vote of the year! So don't forget to vote! I'm honored that my Carolina Hurricanes concept made the cut this year. Remember to vote everyone! Because I am allowed to vote for myself this week, and we wouldn't want a situation like Ryan brought up over the weekend, where I'm the only voter and I win basically by default. So make this fair everyone!



Speaking of voting, there's still a normal COTW vote plus the AHL Stadium Series Comp. is in its voting stage.


COTY SEMI-FINALS VOTES #1 & #2 (END FRIDAY @ 11:59PM EASTERN TIME)COTW JAN 13-19 VOTE (ENDS FRIDAY @ 11:59PM EASTERN TIME)AHL STADIUM SERIES TOP 5 VOTE (ENDS FRIDAY @ 11:59PM EASTERN TIME)

So with that all that behind us, let's get to what you're here for... the concepts!

Arkansas Glacier Cats (WPHL) Concept - Andrew W.Andrew gives us a pretty plain jersey for the Glacier Cats. The Cats were part of the Western Professional Hockey League before that folded. A quick Google search shows the team in jerseys that slightly resemble the old North Stars, and a lot of green. I think some green would make this concept look pretty good. I like the orange and yellow together on the piping though. The name and number on the back look like they are placed way too low.



Rating: 6.5/10



Quebec Nordiques Third Jersey Concept - Christian L.

Christian has a third jersey for the Nordiques that goes with the set he had posted yesterday. I like the addition of a dark blue jersey into that set. I don't like the addition of red into the color scheme here. It comes out of nowhere. I feel like the fleur de lis on the hem don't need that beveled look. I don't like the name on the back being italicized. The TV Numbers slightly come off the jersey, and the Reebok vector shouldn't be filled in with darker blue, but it should be replaced with the Reebok wordmark anyway.



Rating: 6.5/10



Winter Classic Concept - LA vs. STL. - Darren H.

I'd like to know who the host of this Winter Classic is. Hopefully St. Louis. I don't think the Kings need to host, or even be in a Winter Classic. The jerseys here are nice though. The Blues have quite a few throwbacks to use so I would expect one of those before they use a fauxback. This kind of blends a few different ones together and still looks nice. The Kings one seems to be a modern version of a throwback jersey, which is kind of unnecessary for a Winter "Classic". It's a nice looki' jersey, it just doesn't fit the "Classic" vibe outside of the old logo and color scheme.



Rating: 7/10



Team USA Throwback Concept - Jared V.

Throwin' it back for AMERICA! I wouldn't mind seeing Team USA wearing a throwback that includes some vintage white. Maybe not in the Olympics themselves, but maybe like an exhibition, or separate tourney. The front number is too small, and shouldn't be there anyway. I think the stars surrounding the logo and number are too much, but the ones around the logo on the front could stay, just use less. The striping is decent but keep them the same, the thickness of the "white" stripe on the hem is different than the arms. Good start to this concept, but with a few tweak could be really really good.



Rating: 7/10



Monroeville Zombies Concept Stephen T.

Ok, so Zack and Miri is one of the funniest movies out there. And the hockey scenes were pretty funny. Stephen adds some needed color to the actual jerseys used in the film. Nice use of the Buffaslug template. I think crazy templates like that look better when not used in the pros. Still not a fan of the gray swoops coming from the arm pits onto the arms.



Rating: 7/10



New York Rangers Alternate Concept - Torader

Torader seems to combine the "modern" look of the Stadium Series jerseys with a typical throwback. It's not a bad look. The shoulder logo is interesting. Can't say I'm a huge fan, but it sure is different. It's the shield without it's borders, it looks like it's sunken into the "white" yoke. I like the white yoke though. I think I might rather see a blue yoke, but I don't have a problem with this. I don't know what's up with the sock striping, it's waaaay too high and the striping is just odd to me. Other than that, I think this concept was one of those that I look at and think I'm not going to like it very much but it's hard to point out too much wrong with it.



Rating: 7.5/10



Dallas Stars Third Jersey Concept - Snow Monster

Here's a name we haven't seen in a while! Snow Monster's back! He treats us to a black and green alternate for the Stars. It's nice to see the Texas logo being showcased here. I normally don't like this particular stitching/striping pattern but it fits the Stars as it looks like the point of a star. I like how well it fits in their current identity too, using the same font for the name and numbers. I feel like it could use the primary logo on the shoulders.



Rating: 8/10



San Jose Sharks Concept - Dallas K.

Dallas gives the Sharks some new jerseys. There's some things I like here, and some I don't. First off, no orange. I'm sad. nothing POPS here, but the color scheme still looks good. It's just hard for me to get over the orange. That being said. I like the shoulder patches and the new striping pattern. It bugs me that the yokes are different. Even if the teal jersey's yoke will be invisible the stitching pattern should stay because now the shoulder logo is in two different positions on the jerseys. The front number is lame too, I've never liked them on any jersey, it's a good font though. Something seems off with the shark logo having a silver head instead of teal, it's more accurate I guess, but I'm not a fan of recoloring a logo that doesn't need to be recolored.



Rating: 8/10



Minnesota Wild Home Jersey Fix Concept - Avi S.

Avi has a fix for the Wild's home jersey. He ditches the phantom shoulder yoke and adds a star, similar to the one in the logo, to the shoulders. Very unique idea. The only thing I want to see added here is a hem stripe. IT just looks so plain without one from the logo down, those stars are great though. The socks are changed too which they didn't need to be touched. They don't look like they belong.



Rating: 8/10



Washington Capitals Third Jersey Concept - Avi S.

This new Caps' third jersey brought forth by Avi blends together their throwback alternate and their current identity. I think it's a really good look. I know that arm stripes would make the jersey too busy with the stars but the arms still look a little bare without the stripes but that's not Avi's fault, that's just the look the Caps' use.



Rating: 8.5/10



Pittsburgh Penguins 1920's Concept - Dylan W.

I've enjoyed this series. It's a pretty good idea and surprised it hasn't been done more. Dylan applies the old Pittsburgh Pirates jerseys to the Penguins here and it's an ok look. It's just odd. It fits the triangle though so that kind of fixes it. Really nothing wrong with the jersey here.



Rating: 8.5/10 and a COTW Nom!



So there you have it! Another day here at HJC in the books!..... or... web archives... same difference. See a concept you really like? Nominate it for COTW and maybe it will win COTY, but first we have to name 2013's COTY, so please put in your vote this week for the semi finals!
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment