Saturday, January 11, 2014

Favorite Film Discoveries of 2013

Brad Henderson is a Writer, Director, Producer and VHS obsessive. Follow him on twitter .

15. CRYING FREEMAN (1995)

Did you know that Christophe Gans had a film before Brotherhood Of The Wolf? (other than Necronomicon) Neither did I. Recently my good buddy discovered this asked me if I had seen this. I felt like a dumbass because I have never even heard of it. I consider myself a Mark Dacascos fan as well and I feel like I've failed...at life. Within minutes of him asking me I bought it on DVD from Amazon UK. I watched it. I loved it. Yes, it is silly and goofy but it is a blast. Dacascos is still one the best action stars ever but never gets the recognition he deserves. This is definitely not his best work but it is memorable and I hope you see it soon.


14. THE MIDNIGHT HOUR (1985)I'm completely floored how this flick is not considered a cult-classic and not praised like the other films that we love and cherish. Even though this is a made-for-TV flick doesn't make it any less of a gem. It is as if Monster Squad and the music video for Thriller had a baby and called it The Midnight Hour. This film is a little of a rarity so you might have to phone a friend or fork over wads of cash for the DVD but I will tell you it will be worth your while.

13. NO ONE LIVES (2012)I know that this was released this year but I feel it was overlooked due to its lack of a big named cast. It having been picked up by WWE did not help, one of the reasons I put it off. However, a few people that I trust said it was very fun and highly enjoyable. They were correct. Now, don't go in thinking you are going to see something amazing, but I can almost guarantee you will have a blast if you don't take it too seriously.

12. I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE (2011)Let me start off by saying that I really dislike the original. Yes, I'm a huge horror fan, and I dislike the original I Spit on Your Grave. Sue me. The film is about a girl that gets raped for over 45 minutes and then gets revenge. Boring. I stayed away from the remake for a while because I really didn't want to see all of that over again. If they had the balls to pull that off in the 70's, what would be the difference now? Guess what? They didn't. Of course it has its rape, but it isn't overdone. Yet, they do overdue the gore and violence, and that isn't a bad thing. I know people disliked this flick, but I found it a fun revenge flick.

11. RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES (2011)I'm guessing I was the only one that missed it. I'm sure most of you saw this. If you haven't I highly suggest it.

10.THE GRAVEDANCERS (2006)Most horror fans know of 8 Films to Die For. I think most of them are not the greatest. There have been some really decent flicks that have ccome out of there like TheHamiltons, Borderland, and The Reeds. There have also been some great flicks like Mulberry Street, Frontier(s),The Broken, and Lake Mungo. If I missed any, it is mainly because I haven't seen them yet. The Gravedancers isn't great, but it is decent. It mostly reminds me of the 80's, and at times the film is very scary. It does have a pile of goofy moments, but what 80's flicks don't?

9. BANNED (1989)You probably won't see this anywhere, and I didn't want to put it on this list due to its availability. Only a handful of people have seen Banned, and I was fortunate to be one of the lucky few. All I can say is that this film is fucking ridiculous.

8. WHEN A STRANGER CALLS (1979)I know a lot of people know of the film and probably saw it when they were little, but I didn't get a chance to see it until recently. I wouldn't say it is a great film, but the beginning of the film is outstanding and the ending is epic. However the film falls apart slightly in the middle and drag, but not enough to be a bore. Maybe it will grow on me on repeated viewings.

7. THE NIGHT BRINGS CHARLIE (1990)I saw this on and immediately sought it out. Weird and hilarious are the first two words to come to mind. It might be a little difficult to find, but I'm sure if you know the right people, they can get you a copy.

6. THE BEACH GIRLS (1982)Sex Comedies is one of my favorite things, and last year I vowed to seek and view every single one of them. It has taken me a little while, but I'm still knocking them out little by little. The Beach Girls is fantastic and might be one of my favorites of this dead genre.

5. BLASTFIGHTER (1984)The title alone should give you a boner. Want your boner bigger? This dude annihilates everyone with a crazy ass shotgun that shoots rockets, grenades, and the kitchen sink.

4. HARD TICKET TO HAWAII (1987)Boobs. Snakes. Rocket Launchers. Boobs. Sex. Action.Killer Frisbee. Boobs. Guns. Ponytails. Bondage. Boobs.Andy Sedaris is an amazing man, and has made some great "action" flicks.

3. MALIBU EXPRESS (1985)See above.

2. NEVER TOO YOUNG TO DIE (1986)John Stamos and a transvestite Gene Simmons. Never Too Young to Die goes above and beyond what you would consider crazy. John Stamos plays a gymnast that takes on terrorists. If that doesn't make you want to see, I don't know what else to tell you.

1. SHOOT FIRST, DIE LATER (1974)Most of the films that I have listed could be considered awesomely bad. Not this one. Shoot First, Die Later is one of the best movies that I have seen this year. Every action film director could take major notes on a film like this. It has the characters and the action. Not a single part of this film drags for a second, and it is intense until the credits roll.
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment