Thursday, January 2, 2014

Happy National Science Fiction Day

NATIONAL SCIENCE FICTION DAY is unofficially celebrated on January 2nd every year in honor of Isaac Asimov's birthday. Asimov was an American author and professor of biochemistry at Boston University. He wrote or edited more than 500 books and is best known for his science fiction Foundations series. In fact, he was considered one of the 'Big Three' science fiction writers during his lifetime, with Robert A. Heinlein and Arthur C. Clarke as the other two



We thought it might be fun to try our hands at some science fiction! So you're going to be seeing that this month!




In the meantime, I plan on brainwashing you (very sci-fi of me) into consuming my favorite SciFi stories. ~~Go forth and watch/read/love!~~ (Is it working?)



MOVIES

Star Wars IV,V, VI - Classic space opera. Lifechanging. Of course I wanted to be Leia, but I also wanted to be Han Solo! And dammit if I'm not the rightful pilot of the Millenium Falcon.



The Matrix- Sleek, cool, and a bit of a conspiracy movie. Add in seriously cinematic, kick-ass fight scenes and I am hooked.



Back to the Future 1,2,3 - A classic! Time travel, skateboards/hoverboards, a DeLorean, having a mad scientist as your best friend. So much fun!



Buck Rogers in the 25th Century



TV

The X-files- Best monster of the week show plus a crazy [alien] abuduction mystery/conspiracy mythology. I want to believe! This show has the honor of being my biggest obsession ever.



Battlestar Galatica- The new one. I hated Starbuck in the pilot movie the first time I watched it. I tried again a few years later, and boy did I fall in love. Hard. Starbuck became one of my all-time favorite characters. So did the Chief and Helo.



Firefly/Serenity - Surely everyone in the 'verse has seen this by now? Space Western. Captain Tightpants. "I'll be in my bunk." Love the characters and dialogue in this series so much. I can't watch the movie very much becausewell, bad things happen.



Buck Rogers in the 25th Century - Such campy goodness. A space pilot from the 80s accidentally cryogenically freezes himself and is rescued in the 25th century where he becomes something of a starfighter pilot and covert operative.



BOOKS



The Rowan



The Rowan by Anne McCaffrey- The first in a series. Cats, space travel, aliens, telepaths! For almost a decade, I was determined to name a daughter after Damia, a character in the sequel.



The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis - Time travel to the past during the bubonic plague? Sold. I'm really keen to finally read, To Say Nothing of the Dog, which takes place in the same universe.



Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - I read this one just about a year ago and really liked it. A young kid goes to battle/command space school after Earth's war with aliens. (Please don't buy this book and support the author and his hate-ivism. Support your local library instead!)SO WHAT RECOMMENDATIONS DO YOU HAVE FOR US?
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment