Saturday, January 11, 2014

Jukebox Saturday Night for Jan. 11th, 2014: "The Lady Day, Wang Chung, and Wonder Woman" Edition

"(IT WILL HAVE TO DO) UNTIL THE REAL THING COMES ALONG" AS PERFORMED BY THE GREAT LADY DAY, BILLIE HOLIDAY, CIRCA 1942.

As said in one of his wonderful Soundstage shows after playing a song by her (possibly this one): "SOMETIMES YOU JUST GOT HAVE SOME OF THAT." Indeed.

The song was first published in 1936. It was written by Mann Holiner, Alberta Nichols, Sammy Cahn, Saul Chaplin and L.E. Freeman.


As for Mr. Wright, he seems to have stopped making radio podcasts. Even worse, all the incredible content -- approximately 150 hours -- on his old Soundstage show is gone now after the reorganization of the BostonPete.com network.



"NEVER LET GO (OF THE ONE YOU LOVE)" BY NILS ON HIS UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL RELEASE (2009)

I'm not sure if this is an instrumental remake of an earlier one by another artist. Regardless, it's a very nice piece.



And finally, for something more Saturday night upbeat ...



"EVERYBODY HAVE FUN TONIGHT" BY WANG CHUNG FROM THE GROUP'S MOSAIC ALBUM (1986)

I'm actually not crazy about this the manic, almost schizophrenic, quality of the video but I love the song. My favorite part -- between 2:31 and 2:47 -- is:

"ON THE EDGE OF OBLIVION / AND ALL THE WORLD IS BABYLON / AND ALL THE LOVE AND EVERYONE / A SHIP OF FOOLS SAILING ON ..."

(FYI: I always thought Jack Hues was saying, "And all the world is my beloved" but in putting together this entry, I discovered that he is actually saying, "And all the world is Babylon" ... Quite a different meaning!)



OK, that's all for now. I was going to try to post another blog entry, but it quickly sprawled out of control and I don't have enough pictures for it. As for tonight, after I watch STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES at 9PM on Me-TV (part of the Sci Fi Saturday Night line-up). It's "The Trouble With Tribbles" episode.

Screenshot from "The Trouble With Tribbles" episode of STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES showing Captain Kirk, Mr. McCoy, and Spock with an enormous pile of trilling tribbles that fell out of an air duct on the Enterprise.



As part of that line up, it now features WONDER WOMAN, which ended at 9PM. WONDER WOMAN replaced LOST IN SPACE at the 8PM hour recently, while for its part was moved to midnight.

I think I could have some fun with the opening lyrics of Wonder Woman changed to "M. WADE TIPAMILLYUN" -- but let's save that for another time.



Yes, we love Wonder Woman. And Lynda Carter.



The Svengoolie-hosted monster movie thereafter at 10PM is THE MONOLITH MONSTERS, However, I am going out around 1015PM.



I think I'll go to Number 9 and then Nellie's. I'm just not sure if I'm going to go to Old Ebbitt Grill first. I have enough food at home to make dinner. Maybe I'll go to Eatonville instead. I'm not big on Creole food but I've found a few "a la carte" items that put together are quite good. And the Voodoo Rum Punch is awesome.



Oh, yes, I had a good gym work out tonight at the Anthony Bowen YMCA -- jogging, weight-lifting, and swimming -- and my weight was back down to 141 pounds, which is just about where I want it.

--REGULUS
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment