Thursday, January 9, 2014

My Favorite Albums & Movies of 2013

The following are my favorite albums and movies from 2o13. They've connected with me on some level, through nostalgia and pulling my mind back to old memories or taking me on a journey away from reality and into a story I've not yet heard. If you have yet to hear these albums or see these movies, I hope you get inspired to at least check into them a little bit and see if you too can be gripped by these stories.



20. MATRIMONY- MONTIBELLO DRIVE




19. IMAGINARY FRIEND- FIRE ESCAPE



18. RELIENT K- COLLAPSIBLE LUNG



17. LOCAL NATIVES- HUMMINGBIRD



16. PACIFIC AIR- STOP TALKING



15. MY EPIC- BEHOLD



14. HOUSES- A QUIET DARKNESS



13. DAUGHTER- IF YOU LEAVE



12. AIR REVIEW- LOW WISHES



11. MOVING MOUNTAINS- MOVING MOUNTAINS



10. GHOST SHIP- THE GOOD KING



9. JIMMY EAT WORLD- DAMAGE



8. SLEEPING AT LAST- ATLAS EPS: DARKNESS/LIGHT/SPACE 1/SPACE 2



7. LEAGUES- YOU BELONG HERE



6. DUSTIN KENSRUE- THE WATER AND THE BLOOD



5. CITIZENS- CITIZENS



Worship music has come a long way from when I first became a christian. Citizens really put out an album full of worship songs that have more depth than most of the K-Love hits, and they are upbeat and fun. This album has honestly helped me grow in my spiritual walk this year and I am glad to have found some genuine and accessible worship music I can enjoy.



4. GUNGOR- I AM MOUNTAIN



Gungor has tuned the table around on us again. It seems every time they put something new out it is a new breed of Gungor. This album has it all. From western songs about war to a song completely done with auto tune. It's eclectic spread of songs make it a good listen any time. It doesn't matter if I'm in the mood for something upbeat and happy or slow and thought-provoking,I am Mountain fills my thirst.



3. TWIN FORKS- EP



Chris Carrabba's new folk band is the best musical outlet he's had in a while. Dashboard Confessional has been in a downslide, and Twin Forks has become Carrabba's premiere venue for his musical tastes. This album always gets me stomping my feet and clapping my hands as I join in with the band. If you get the chance to check these guys out live I highly advise that you do it.



2. LYDIA- DEVIL



Lydia seems to have no shortage of music to make with putting out new music about every year and a half. This time around lead singer Leighton Antelman has some joyful things on his heart which make for an uplifting album (which is a rare occurrence with this band). Lydia is one of a kind, and a musical inspiration that has been with me since I started college. Usually Lydia songs are perfect fall or winter music, but this disc is just so lovely it fits with spring and summer, which just means Lydia will be on year round for me now.



1. I CAN MAKE A MESS- ENOLA



I don't know if it's because I had no expectations at all for this, or because I wanted it so badly to be great that it would've been no matter what, but this album captured me. Ace Enders first introduced himself to me with The Early's November's The Room's Too Cold (which was one of my favorite albums throughout high school), and shortly after that Ace created my favorite full length disc ever: I Can Make a Mess Like Nobody's Business self-titled album. I can still remember buying it from F.Y.E. and listening to it constantly that October and November. I still cherish the songs from that album. Ace went on and make more music with The Early November and a few alone as I Can Make a Mess, but nothing has ever rivaled that first ICMAM albumuntil now.



Enola is great because it holds nothing back. Guitar solo in the middle of the song? 'K. Heavy techno infused songs mixed with stripped down acoustic songs? Done. Soaring and soothing guitars to balance out the peaks and valleys? Of course. Enola and the self-titled I Can Make a Mess Like Nobody's Business will be sitting on my musical pedestal for years and years to come. Thank you Mr. Enders.



to listen to my Spotify "Best of 2014playlist with songs from the above albums and more!



Below are my five favorite movies I saw in 2013. There are a few more I am waiting on seeing, but I'll list them afterwards.



1. THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG



I think Peter Jackson can do no wrong. Plus Martin Freeman is incredible. And Benedict Cumberbatch is in it. This movie is hysterical and action packed and I watched it all from the edge of my seat.



2. PACIFIC RIM



The little boy in me loved everything about this movie. The monsters. The giant robots. The pet bulldog. Everything.



3. NOW YOU SEE ME



Magic that captivated me the entire movie and with a great twist at the end!



4. STAR TREK: INTO DARKNESS



My man crush is Benedict Cumberbatch



5. DESPICABLE ME 2



The minions completely steal the show here. Much improved from the original too.



I have yet to see a few highly acclaimed movies and am waiting on the cheap, easily available route (Redbox) before enjoying them. Here are a few I'm looking forward to viewing soon:



* GRAVITY

* CAPTAIN PHILLIPS

* AMERICAN HUSTLE

* THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY

* ABOUT TIME



One final thing to touch on for the year is my favorite television shows! I have really enjoyed a few years and would encourage others to look into them if they've been looking for something fun to watch!



1. SHERLOCK



Led by Benedict Cumberbatch (as Sherlock) and Martin Freeman (as Dr. Watson), this hour and a half television show is my favorite show of all time. It plays out much more like a movie than a show (which can easily be done in it's long, but well worth it run time). Cumberbatch and Martin are as great a duo as their is in TV currently. Sadly the show only offers us three episodes per series (season), but if you're just now finding out about you are in luck! Series three is airing in the United States January 19th with the following two episodes the next two weeks as well!



2. THE WALKING DEAD



Boy oh boy, have things strongly progressed since season three ended. I think each episode so far this season has had something great to offer either in the way of character development or a major plot twist. The zombies have become more of a "background noise" type of occurrence, but more and more dangers are popping up that the group cannot seem to avoid! I can't wait to see what 2014 has in store for our Walking Dead characters!



3. THE GOLDBERGS/ TROPHY WIFE



Admittedly these shows are my guilty pleasures. Just some pretty funny sitcoms that consistently make me laugh! The Goldbergs is perfect for anyone born in the 80 s due to all the old school references like Atari, the Delorean, and Run DMC. The Trophy Wife has some very uniquely intertwined family relationships that somehow work don't overwhelm the show. All of the actors are given just enough time to shine and they each have their own quirks that make it hard to not continue coming back for more!



This is a reflection of my entertainment this previous year, and I look forward to all that 2014 has to offer!
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment